Sae 68 gear oil? ??

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well I got my mill today and I need to change the oil it says use sae 68 gear oil if I can't find that in town I'm wondering what equivalent I could use wondering what others have done thanks for any help :) :) :)

i think there may have been a translation error or something, i believe they are calling for ISO68 oil
you can use ISO68 hydraulic oil from tractor supply or other box store

here is a x reference
mobil:
DTE 26
ETNA 26

Shell:
Tellus 33
Tellus 68
Tellus 933
Tellus Plus 68

Chevron:
AW Hydraulic Oil 68
AW Machine Oil 68
EP Machine Oil 68
EP Machine Oil 70

Exxon:
Humble Hydraulic 1197
Humble Hydraulic H68
Nuto H54
Nuto H68

Texaco:
Rando HD 68

Last edited:
Agreed. ISO68 is available from TSC as well as most NAPA stores.

Mike

I've been using the Mystic brand ISO 68 from Tractor Supply. Another source has been the Zorro website, they have the medium ISO 68 from Mobil and its not bad price wise if it ships for free. I'll probably order from Zorro next time and get a few different oils, its actually cheaper than my local TSC.

First I'd ask Matt if the oil in the head arrived in it or if he filled it before shipping the mill to you.

AW68 hydraulic oil should be available at any farm store. implement dealer, or tractor dealer. It is perfectly acceptable for lubricating machine tools. I bought my last gallon at an auto supply store at a great price.

Runnings will have it also.

ISO 68 is actually 20w SAE, correct?

Mobil DTE has anti-foaming in it. Mobil DTE Heavy-Medium is a little thicker. Both have anti-corrosion properties. Whatever oil you choose, the anti-corrosion property would be important.
As a side note, Vactra Way Oil 2 is also ISO-68 but has tactifiers in it so it is less likely to drip.

Last edited:
ISO 68 has a viscosity of ~20W SAE motor oil and ~80W SAE gear oil, but this only tells part of the characteristics as the viscosity changes appreciably with temperature. The operating temperature of an engine is very different than a gearbox. Mobil DTE Heavy-Medium and DTE 26 are both ISO 68 oils, both would be appropriate for use in mill and lathe gearboxes. Machines that rely on splash lubrication, it can be detrimental to use a higher viscosity oil then specified by the manufacturer. In cold climates, a slightly thinner viscosity may be appropriate, otherwise run you machine unloaded at a lower speed until the oil heats up to temperature. There is always some confusion between the Mbil DTE 20 series "Hydraulic oil" and the Mobil Named Series "gear oils", but both are appropriate for use with gears and bearings.

Way oil would not be used in a gear head, but sometimes used where there are slow turning gears that extend out of the oil bath, such as the carriage. I have not seen it used in oil submersed gearbox, but may be more appropriate in open "Norton Style" gearboxes where you want the oil to stick to the gears. I use Vacuoline 1409 for my Norton gearbox and ways, definitely more tacky than the Mobil Vactra Way #2 oil I was using previously. The Vaculine is indicated for use with gear boxes, where Vactra does not have this indication according to another HM memeber who spoke to Mobil.

Oil Grade System.jpg

Mobil DTE Oils:
https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Industrial/pds/GLXXMobil-DTE-Named-Series
https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricants/product-series/mobil-dte-20-series

Attachments

• Mobil DTE Oil Series.pdf
    523 KB · Views: 162
Back