Saddle Felt Replacements - end or full?

twstoerzinger

Active User
Registered
I need to replace the felts on my BP saddle. The machine currently has the "end" version felts where there is a felt at each end of the clamp that protects the ways on each side, front and back.
In looking at replacement felts, I see there is also a "full" felt version available which is a single felt that matches the shape of the clamp (with 3 holes).
I don't think there is anything for the center part of a "full" felt to wipe against, but I can see that the clamp would then have a uniform surface against which to clamp.
The center portions of my clamps were fairly heavily packed with tiny swarf particles.
(I will probably also replace the knee felts at the same time).
Any thoughts on when / why to use the end felts versus the full felts.
Thanks,
Terry S.

I have tried both types of felt wipers on my BP series 1 and I prefer the full length version. Just seems to make cleaning easier because less chips & grit gets caught behind the clamp.

I got the large felts from HQTools and the small version from an ebay store. Felt thickness, stiffness, etc seem to be the same.

Full felts here also. Clamps better and keeps the chips from under the clamps.

I like the full felts but I think the next set I'll make myself with a little better grade felt than what you get when you buy the precut.

Back