Saddle/Carriage Gib on G4000 lathe

prasad

Active User
Registered
My Grizzly G4000 lathe is now about six months old. A few days ago I tried to adjust the saddle gib (carriage gib) for the first time. It has three M6 socket head screws that hold the gib plate against the carriage. I found all three screws were fully tight and left no adjustment possible. I removed the part and noticed that there is no "gib" as such. I mean a little piece that presses when the adjustment screws are tightened as with cross slide. This carriage gib is a solid piece that presses against the bed directly.

Is this a critical adjustment? I phoned Grizzly tech support line for advice and I was told that this gib has no role on the performance of the lathe. I was told that this gib is there only to prevent the saddle from tilting. I find it difficult to believe. Their manual clearly says that I must adjust it. I feel that finish on boring operation could get affected by this. BTW, I do only aluminum machining (mostly is a better word).

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

My Grizzly G4000 lathe is now about six months old. A few days ago I tried to adjust the saddle gib (carriage gib) for the first time. It has three M6 socket head screws that hold the gib plate against the carriage. I found all three screws were fully tight and left no adjustment possible. I removed the part and noticed that there is no "gib" as such. I mean a little piece that presses when the adjustment screws are tightened as with cross slide. This carriage gib is a solid piece that presses against the bed directly.

Is this a critical adjustment? I phoned Grizzly tech support line for advice and I was told that this gib has no role on the performance of the lathe. I was told that this gib is there only to prevent the saddle from tilting. I find it difficult to believe. Their manual clearly says that I must adjust it. I feel that finish on boring operation could get affected by this. BTW, I do only aluminum machining (mostly is a better word).
Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA
/QUOTE]

Guys,

I had posted this same question also on 9x20 Yahoo group. I have learnt that the saddle gib indeed has no role to play other than preventing the saddle from tilting. So that answers this question.

Thanks
Prasad

Back