Rust Removal With Phosphoric Acid

Micke,

Thanks for posting, I have never tried that method.
Do you have any "before" pictures?
Is it just a soak or is there any scrubbing/wirebrushing involved?

thanks,
-brino

Hi All. A cheap and easy source of merchant grade Phosphoric Acid is a liquid fertilizer plant/blending facility. Its one of the major components of liquid fert

No before pictures, sorry. There was no heavy rust but is was brown and ugly with different shadings. It is just a soak, which makes it nicer than wire brushing or other mechanical methods.

I buy it from a smith shop here in Sweden but it should be available at numerous places. If you Google around you van learn about concentrations to use.
I have 5 liters in a plastic box with a lid. It can be used over and over again.

Phosphoric Acid is a mild acid and is used in Coca Cola and some other drinks. It is an ideal treatment for hobby machinist that have problem with rust build up on tools. The treatment leaves a protective layer, which can even be seen as a primer for putting paint on. Or just let the dark surface be as is if if things are not exposed to full outdoors environment.

Here are more pics of parts that were rusted. Everything was removed during an about 15 hours bath.

DSC04878.JPG
DSC04879.JPG

what is your source of phosphoric acid
I buy milkstone remover at the farm store. I cut it 4:1 with tap water and soak the part overnight. I then rinse it and let it air dry, being careful not to damage the phosphate coating. Then I apply a thin coat ot linseed oil and let it dry for a few days in the sun (an hour in an oven would work as well).

Back