Rust Removal on Flat Steel Parts

I just use vinegar but it gives a dull surface afterwards. This is great for those big surfaces. I'll need help to drag my Deckel FP1 out into the weather so I can test this method :grin:

Paul.

I have a wide blade Sandvik scraper that I use for doing the same thing, too. Great for removing paint, too.

I've wanted a hand held laser rust remover for years but way above my pay grade. I like to rescue old machinery for a hobby and find a hammer for big flakes and a twisted dtrand wire brush on an angle grinder to remove the bulk works well for bulk removal. If I can then break into smaller parts I do and dump into drums of 40:1 - 60:1 Water/Molassas mix and leave. Pull out for an occasional scrub. I like the Molassas as it converts the rust to inert Iron Oxide including that in the pores.0Sand and Polish or if painting on cast iron in particular I coated with de-oderised fish oil then paint.
Molassas is not super fast but it is gentle and non-destructive to sound metal , super cheap and lasts for years.

This is what I use unless it's a precision surface.

if it's a precision surface, then it gets a chemical bath.

Back