Rust preventative

jgedde

Active User
Registered
What do all you fellas recommend for mill top rust prevention? I've tried WD40 (useless), Johnson's Paste wax (comes off when I wipe up any cutting fluid), EEZOX (great for guns but comes off easily), etc... but the least amount of soluable oil that remains will rust the table in no time. Also I get black discoloration underneath the mill vise or any workpiece bolted to the table for any length of time. WD40 and Scotchbrite* removes any rust or the black.

Is Boeshield T-9 any good?

John

*Cyrus: I know, I know. :p I save the worn out stuff for that sort of thing. Remainung abrasive is minimal)

John,

When only the finest will do....

Starrett Tool & Instrument Oil #1620:

"This oil is the same extra-fine lubricant made to Starrett specifications and used in the Starrett factory to lubricate and protect their precision measuring tools and instruments. It is also perfect for all mechanics, homeowners, hobbyists, and sportsmen who require the finest all-purpose oil. Special high-refining makes Starrett Tool and Instrument Oil colorless, ensures thorough lubrication of close-fitting parts at high temperatures and below zero, and provides a strong lasting film over all areas requiring protection against rust. This oil has not been adulterated by additives for color and odor."

Costs a fortune, but makes your tools feel oh so special. :)

HTH,
PaulS

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, forgot there is also the Starrett M1 oil in a spray can.

I use Corrosion Stop from PB Blaster.
http://www.blastercorporation.com/Corrosion_Stop.html

It works pretty well in this Gulf Coast environment. It is not perfect, but is pretty reasonably priced. I buy it by the case.

I generally liberally wet the item down and wipe it down with a paper towel. It goes on real thin then sets up into a kind of waxy material.

Randy

Back