Running 208v motor on 220v service

toolman_ar

Active User
Registered
IMG_3982.JPG I am looking at a grinder and have a question regarding the power requirements.

I have a 2hp Ronk phase converter. It produces 220v, 3 phase power.

The grinder is 3 phase, 208v, 2hp, 5.76 amps.

Do I need to reduce voltage to the grinder to run with my phase converter?

Toolman_ar

That one is a tough call. Most newer motors will run 208-240 just fine. If your phase converter is actually putting out 220V you should be fine, but I suspect if your power is anything like mine, you will be closer to 240V. I would wire it up and put an amp probe on it, if the current draw is within reason, you should be fine. The motor insulation is good for at least 600V, probably more.

Jim,
After I wrote 220v, I thought I need to go look to confirm. I have not checked, but think you are correct, most likely 240v.

This grinder is most likely bigger than I need. The seller has not confirmed the wheel size. Just trying to do my homework. Before dragging home something I cannot use.

toolman_ar

I just checked my voltage for today, low volts 241.2 at 10:00 PM, high volts 245.2 at 7:20 AM. I suspect you will be fine anyway, but it would suck to have to install buck transformers.

You might check with your local motor shop for an opinion.

generally speaking, if the nameplate voltage is within 10% of supply voltage, you'll be just fine :)
for example 240v service - 24v(10%)= 216v
216 is 8v higher than 10%, it should cause no real problems.
the amp draw will be less than nameplate amps @240v

Mike, I was hoping you would chime in here. :) so running a 208 volt motor on 240 volts the amp draw will actually be lower than nameplate?

The neet thing about this grinder is that the manufacturer, The United States Electrical Tool Company is still in business.

Tomorrow I will contact the manufacturer and ask what they think. Also it looks like I can provide them the serial number and they can date the machine.

The web site shows the Modle 500, is offered in 240/440.

toolman_ar

240 volts on a 208V motor? Not an issue. As, others have pointed out - check that the current draw does not exceed the name plate value. Do you have a clip on current meter? Even a cheap one would be adequate.

Mike, I was hoping you would chime in here. :) so running a 208 volt motor on 240 volts the amp draw will actually be lower than nameplate?
Yes Sir Jim,
we know from Ohm's Law, (if the resistance is kept constant)
the voltage in a circuit increases- the Amperage will decrease

That's true for transformers but not for resistive loads Mike. V over R equals I. Increase V and you will increase I.
Mark S.
ps there may be some goofy inductive effect that makes the current go lower, I don't know

Back