rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

yesterday the total was about $4200.00 today it is $4550 with the 4th axis
the wiring isnt really that bad it is for the most part there are four circuits one for each axis in this one 3 are exactly alike
steve

I think it would be fair to round it up to a ballpark $5K to include various nuts and bolts, wiring, and probably the sheet metal for the enclosure, which would be an absolutely fantastic price for a 4 axis CNC RF45!

M

I had already rounded up to include those materials sheet metal is only $35 a 4x8
and i included the new usb controller for $110.00
steve

the parts for the fourth axis came today so i have my hands full with projects.
this table is a 90 to 1 ratio and as smooth as silk with no backlash so all i'll have to build is a motor mount and coupling. ( great buy for $299.00 )
the 90 to 1 ratio mean really hi accuracy.
at 2000 steps per revolution from the motor and a ratio of 90 to 1 that translates to 180000 steps per revolution at the index or .002 of a degree for each step.
thats accurate if i can keep it all a really close fit.
steve

DSCF0389.JPG

what a unexspected surprise i just got
because the table was setup and came with index plates the mounting for the stepper motor is going to be really simple
three mounting holes are already drilled into the face for the index plates to mount to, i just make a mount to fit the holes and out to the motor add a coupling and i'm done. and the height of the base will let the motor clear the table so no riser is needed. this isnt going to be a long thread
steve

DSCF0390.JPG DSCF0391.JPG

I made the first part for the 4th axis motor mount on the zx45
steve

DSCF0394.JPG DSCF0392.JPG

I made the second part for the 4th axis and for fun i timed the entire process on this one
I made the drawing converted to g-code and made the part including tapping the holes by hand in 58 minutes
i have to get a faster spindle for small cutters in aluminum to get any more speed but i'm sure i could have doubled the depth. i'm running coolant because of the slow speeds
i cut this at 1970 rpm(too slow) 3/16 endmill 10ipm at a depth of .050 per pass ramped.
the only thing left for the 4th axis is the spacer tube, 4 long bolts to assemble and bore the coupling to size to fit. put a cable on the motor and it's ready to use after calibration.
steve
[video=youtube;DcsYpc4I7mY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcsYpc4I7mY[/video]

DSCF0396.JPG DSCF0397.JPG

today i made the center spacer and bored out the coupling to fit the shafts. everything fit perfect so i am down to attaching a cord and plug and running it to calibrate. calibration will be simple since i know it is a 90 to 1 ratio and how many steps per revolution i have the controller set at.
I didnt have to modify anything on the rotary table to add the motor and it can still be used manual.

steve

DSCF0399.JPG DSCF0400.JPG

mgp
going from the sherline to this has been amazing there is no work to making anything i want now
steve

I finished wiring the 4th axis and calibrating it. I made a short video of it simulating cutting a 10 tooth gear with the axis facing you to see it better this is a demo vid and would not do anything but break a cutter lol
well: my mill is done and i guess this thread is done
the only other thing i may do is mount the head on an 10" rotary table for easy angle settings and tramming but that will probably stay manual...
you never know
to everyone who was interested
thank you
steve

[video=youtube;vAadS2KV_u8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAadS2KV_u8[/video]

Back