rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

Re: zx45 milling machine cnc conversion

I'm also planning on mounting the z and y axis motors directly to the column and base and place the coupling and bearing mounts inside for a cleaner look. this is all still in the planning stage because the slow "junk" from china has not brought all my parts yet
steve

Following this with interest.
Looks like the mill will only be 50% of the cost of the whole project.

M

this type of mill comes from a lot of different companies but there are so many different versions thats why no one is marketing a cnc kit I'm sure. if you look there are many z axis versions with the crank on the left or right
the wholesale tools version is 2/3 the cost of everyone else and upon disassembly I dont have a clue why. it is very nice and beefy the z axis screw that came with it was 1-1/4" and x y were 1" with adjustable nuts for endplay. some of the companies are asking over $3000.00 for the same type of mill not including shipping.
also they are 1-1/2 hp this came as a 2hp I'm very happy with the purchase
I intend to leave the quill feed on the mill, It will make a fast and easy way to rezero the z after a tool change witout making all the tool offsets. I'll just starts with the quill down about an inch and locked. then when i change tools I'll adjust the quill to rezero not reset mach3 z to zero
steve

Re: zx45 mill cnc conversion

still waiting on parts but here is the rear electronics panel drawing for the g-code I did today
steve

rearpaneldrawing.jpg

Last edited:

I got a little of one of the electrical panels done today and everything seems to be fitting ok
the enclosure is open on the sides on the bottom and there will be 12x12 air filter in the bottom. air flow will go from bottom to top and exit 2 120v fans, three of the motor drivers were mounted the lowest so they will not be absorbing heat off of the 4 power supplies. the 5 volt assisted breakout board is going to be mounted in the rear upper panel so the cables from the pc can be connected from outside. In the pics i show 2 relays and a transformer (12v) these were in my first plans but i have decided to go with 5v controlled solidstate relays to eliminate some of the wiring and stray emf from the transformer. the fourth axis will have a switch on the front panel to shut off the power when not in use. the power supplies for the 1600 oz/im motors and the 880 oz/in are 60v and the controller for the 4200 oz/in outputs 80v.
still waiting on switches, circuit breakers, relays, and my ballscrews and bearing so I havent started on motor mounts yet.
steve

DIGI0035.JPG DIGI0036.JPG DIGI0037.JPG DIGI0038.JPG

Hi Steve,
seeing first pics of your mill, I thought 'wunder if he's gunna epoxy it?'

If you haven't seen it already Bob W. has good examples...
http://cnccookbook.com/CCMillEpoxyFill.htm

with the beefy steppers you're hooking up to the end of those screws,
you'll need all the rigidity you can get.

regards
Andrew

yes andrew i intend to epoxy fill but i also want to install the coupling and bearings inside the z column and base for a cleaner look so epoxy is much later. I also want the y motor on the back. there is a lot to design still.
steve

my aviation connectors came today and they sent a free gift...
microscopic momentary button switches? still no ballscrews yet but they replied after another week and said they are on the way again. I dont think they stock anything I think they order them when you purchase. I will be buying the ballscrews from someone else for the 9x20 lathe conversion i'm doing after this mill.
steve

DSCF0186.JPG

my aviation connectors came today and they sent a free gift...
microscopic momentary button switches? still no ballscrews yet but they replied after another week and said they are on the way again. I dont think they stock anything I think they order them when you purchase. I will be buying the ballscrews from someone else for the 9x20 lathe conversion i'm doing after this mill.
steve

They look like microphone cable and panel connectors; you've certainly got a lot of them!

M

there are 3 4 and 5 pin and they were $2 each set in lots of 10
they are for my shielded cable to the motors, limit switches, tach , coolant and spindle control. the relays for the spindle power and coolant pump are going to be in the enclosure under the mill so i'll use them for the low voltage control
I'm going to cnc my 9x20 lathe also so i'll use them
I'm starting to buy bulk lol switches 10 to a pack 3 packs different colors lighted
I have no use for the tiny button switches though I should mail them to bob (rbeckett ) he does a lot of electronic stuff
steve

Back