rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

Well ifin you were to ask Steve I bet he would know the answer, as for me my 45 conversion hit the point where I got the parts to talk to one another and have been on the honeydoo list ever since the weather warmed up but the list is just about done:beer: so I might juist be able to get back to it:aok:
Oh well the beat goes on & on.
Bill

Sounds like you are making progress, glad to hear that. Was testing repeatability on the x and y axes today when the y axis quit responding. The stepper would wiggle a bit but not making any noise, felt like the holding torque had dropped off. Hope to work on it come Monday. Found the x was within half a thou so am pretty happy with that. Stuck at 25ipm for now on x and (I hope) y. Take care of the honey do list first of all. Regarding my questions, found that multipass is covered by a Wizard within Mach3, however still don't know how to tell it to cut inside/outside/on centered on the line. CamBam allows selection of Inside/Outside but nothing about cutting centered on the line. Wonder if I have to offset drawing features to accommodate tool diameters before I generate G-code from a CAM program. Might not be too hard for simple stuff but seems like there has to be a better way. Will keep looking, who knows what I might find. Take care and keep us posted on progress, will do same.
Burt

Hi Steve:
Well, solved the y-axis issue. Slipping pulley, used loctite this time should have done that the first time around. Have gotten rapids up to 35IPM but have to use a low acceleration rate (1 or so) to make it repeatable. Whole issue is using stock lead-screws and nuts. It started out sounding like an out of tune organ when x and y were running together, got it down to moderate buzz when an axis reversed, then finally it is almost silent when I run my 16" x 4" rectangle 5 times in a loop. Still have to see if the motors have enough torque to actually cut a piece of steel but that will come later. More tests to do such as see if it will draw circles, etc. before I put a tool in the spindle that is not a pen. Anyway, will keep you and the forum posted on my progress, such as it is. Take care.
Burt

Hello, probably i did not use the right search word but i did not find anything about traveling of the z-axis when powered off. Is this an issue and if, did somebody solve this. I was thinking about short circuiting the coils by means of a relay if necessary. regards

My Z axis has never moved when powered off.
I guess there is just enough drag on the dovetail to hold it in place
Steve

We have this issue with our CNC router/mill that is driven by servos. Both my stepper systems don't do this.

Last edited:
jumps4 and jbolt thank you very much. I will reserve some space for a brake but will not order one before realy needed. Somebody learned me that short circuiting the coils of the stepper will give a lot of resistence agains movement bur creep will remain.

My Z axis has never moved when powered off.
I guess there is just enough drag on the dovetail to hold it in place
Steve

Hi Steve,
I have followed your lead with stepper motor choice on my ZX7045 CNC conversion and was wonder about your coupling choice for the Z axis. I seem to remember that you changed the coupling at one time (if my memory is correct). Can I ask what you went with in the end please?
For the Z axis, I have considered making a solid steel coupling with a light press fit on the motor and a firm push fit on the screw secure with grub screws - do you think there would be a problem with not have any flexi in the coupling if I align the motor/screw correctly?

Regards,
Allan

Hello Allen
The one I used for Z looks like this one on Ebay " 141122463628 " it is a diaphragm type
So far it has held up more than a couple years without an issue.
I tried a ridged coupling on my lathe it did not work out well.
Steve
I think the one I found had a clamp screw and a set screw to hold the shaft. This one shows only the clamp screw.
s-l1600.jpg

Back