rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

Well, back again. Finally got the electronics packaged and steppers mounted. So far all axes move in the right directions but, only at 25ipm reliably in X and Y. I have loosened the gibs as far as I dare but only has a minimal effect. Guess the NEMA23 425oz-in, 4.2A and 36Volt stepper/driver combo is too weak to work with the stock lead screws in X and Y but Z is happy as a clam at 50+ipm. Running the 2:1 gearing to get more torque at 8000 steps per inch. Of course these speeds are more than enough as a feed rate, was just hoping for more for rapids. Will post photos of setup when the replacement PS gets here for the desktop that has the pictures on it. Thanks for all the help so far. Take care. Burt

Last edited:
good to hear you got her running.
the stock lead screws do take a lot of torque to turn, I tried that on my lathe conversion for a while and I wasn't that impressed.
keep us posted
Steve

Steve: Thank you for the reply. I figured that might be a problem but will have to live with it for a while. Good that I am not trying to make money off production. Plan for now is to make sure it will run by repeating a rectangular table movement 16" in X and 4" in Y. Modified a program I found in the tutorial for Mach3, will run it through a number of 100 cycle repetitions. I think I have put more inches on the machine during testing than I have since I got it in 2008. Pretty pathetic. Will keep you-all posted on progress or lack of same. Take care. Burt

Last edited:
Got the power supply today so able to transfer pictures. Still running the rectangle to see if I can loosen up the X and Y axes. Hope the pictures load properly. Take care.
Burt

CONTROL PANEL.jpgCONTROL PANEL V2.jpgSTAND.jpgDONE.jpgX AXIS.jpgY AXIS.jpgZ AXIS.jpg

Last edited:
Pics are too small to see, & I wanna see what you been up to.
Bill

Hello Bill: Yeah I was wondering about that. Will have to try again. Keep watching. Take care. Burt

Here is another attempt to put up some pictures of the mess I have made. Still only cutting air but getting closer to chips. Bear with me please.
Burt

CONTROL PANEL.jpg OVERALL.jpg SIGNAL SIDE.jpg STAND.jpg X-AXIS.jpg Y-AXIS.jpg Z-AXIS (QUILL).jpg

My apologies to the forum for the size of the latest pictures. Flipped a coin about how to do it, now know how to do it right. Take care. Burt

not to worry Burt, nice neat job you have done I'm jealous.
Bill

Thank you for kind words. Have covered the large hole in the door with some screening to keep critters out since I took the pictures. Now if I can figure out how to do multipass operations as well as adjust tool path based on tool diameter I can get into real trouble. The Mach3 manual talks about AUTOMATIC Z CONTROL but I cannot find the screen in my Mach3 installation. Just purchased it so am kinda of disappointed. Time will tell I guess. Hope to hear about more conversions of the G0484 or its equivalent. Take care.
Burt

Back