rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

I might add a little to the Y-axis as I have extended it slightly and need the extra room between the stepper and the Mill itself.
Cheers!
Bernie

you can open the distance between the shafts as wide as the entire flex section of the coupling. only the section of the coupler that clamps to the shaft is required, any shaft extending into the center of the coupling does nothing. so if needed you can probably spread them out as much as an inch.
steve

Jumps - What travel are you getting in X and Y? Also, how's the quality of the mill and has it been reliable? I've been contemplating this same mill. Thanks.

hi nigal
I'll have to get back to you on the X Y travel I have extended them both but I haven't measured the new travel, I just got the most I could.
As far as the machine itself, I'm impressed more everyday. I have converted a few import mills now and during the break-in period you will see gray in the way oil from the surfaces seating in. On the zx45 all the dovetails and the gibs are scraped and must be matched very well, I have never seen any gray in the way oil and after a year of a lot of use I have only made one gib adjustment about a month after the first use. I have never found a scratch on any surface. I'm really happy especially since I spent more for stepper motors, electronics and cnc conversion materials than I did the mill.
steve

Steve,
What are the grey and tan DIN mounted blocks that the AC wiring passes through? Also what is the 15vdc transformer for?

DSCF0245 (1a).jpg

Thanks,
Jay

DSCF0245 (1a).jpg

hi jay
the switches in the front panel work off 15v to operate electronic relays for the coolant pump, 4th axis power supply and power to the mill motor. the left side blocks are jumped for 120v power distribution, the right side blocks are fuses to each power supply and the fans.
steve

Steve, I read through your thread a while back and have a couple questions in regards to your motors

1) Are you happy with them? I think I recall them being ebay sourced.
2) What max speed can you reliably machine at? Think they could go 60-80ipm if the spindle speed was up to the task? What about rapids?
3) What voltage are you running?
4) Is the power supply, stepper drivers and break out board from the same source as the motors? Any issues with them?

I'm looking for motors/electronics currently and it would be nice to use something that is tried and true.

Thanks

I have been very happy with my motors and associated electronics. I have purchased from wantai motor and longs motor on ebay and the only difference is longs will ship from the us, they have a warehouse in California. I no longer see the kit I used but if you contact longs by leaving a message on any of their cnc stepper motor kits adds, down at the bottom of the add is a contact with a question box. I don't know how many axis your machine will be but describe what your looking for. mine is a 4200 oz/in nema42 with controller 110v/120 input 80v out. for the z axis, 2 1600 nema34 motors and controllers with their own power supplies 80v for x y axis. and a 890oz/in motor, controller and power supply 60v for the 4th axis. the breakout board they give in the kits is garbage the opti-couplers are too slow. I use this breakout board for my projects ebay number " 171125792285 ".
my mill will run at 200 ipm but I have it set to 100 max for safety. spindle power is never an issue because I run at high speeds less depth per pass and higher feed rates. you get done faster with less tool wear. It matters what you doing but most of my runs are under 30ipm cutting. and keep the coolant coming to clear chips and keep things cool.
as far as being happy this machine has never failed to do anything I put it through. I entered a bad code and bent the soft shank portion of a 1/2" endmill in an ell. the power is there and the machine never misses steps under load.
steve

Steve, on the Z axis coupler, any slipping issues with the 12mm end?

Jay

at first I had a problem until I remembered I didn't tighten the set screws. my coupling clamps and has set screws.
if yours doesn't have a set screw I'd add one and drill a dimple into the shaft for it to seat into.
steve

Thanks Steve,

Mine does not have set screws so I will add some.

Jay

Back