rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

Re: zx45 milling machine cnc conversion

here are a few of the parts i have made for the z axis ballscrew upper bearing mount
it would be done but i made a mistake on the endcap offset in the g-code it centered on the line instead of being on the inside and so i get to make another
thats what scrap bins are for. premachined parts for future projects
steve

DSCF0196.JPG DSCF0197.JPG DSCF0199.JPG DSCF0200.JPG DSCF0201.JPG

Wouldn't be any fun if you got it right every time! :biggrin:

M

i finished the z axis motor/ballscrew upper mount today and everything came out pretty good. I had $10.00 in aluminum and $11.00 for 8 bolts something is wrong with this picture.
the pics show the parts and how it looks assembled I like the clean look on top the z axis better than the mount being visible it is more of a factory look. now i'm waiting for seals to do final assembly. now I'm going to start on the z-axis ballnut mount, it should be pretty easy since I should be able to bore out the threads on the old mount and bolt the ballnut on to it.
steve

DSCF0202.JPG DSCF0203.JPG DSCF0204.JPG DSCF0206.JPG

That Z axis stepper motor is HUGE! The tread plate around the column is an unusual touch, but it looks pretty cool.

M

That Z axis stepper motor is HUGE! The tread plate around the column is an unusual touch, but it looks pretty cool.

M

I think those are flaking marks rather than treadplate.

those shiny spots are flaking marks on the ways
I finished the ballnut mount that was the easiest thing so far.
i just centered it in the 4 jaw bored it to size, drilled and tapped 6 1/4"-20 holes and it is done. I am going to add 2 screws to the swivel with brass seats to take up any future play there. I'm also planning on a lower ballscrew mount. I have checked a lot of builds and i havent seen one used, but i want one to stop the screw from whipping. alignment will be fun and it may be overkill but it's apart now I know me i wont come back later. I'm done for today i need my meds my back is killing me
steve

DSCF0208.JPG DSCF0209.JPG DSCF0210.JPG DSCF0211.JPG DSCF0212.JPG DSCF0213.JPG

the main reason for the (huge) 4200 oz/in z motor is braking, it will be holding a 300lb head on a ballscrew so i want no motion and no missed steps ( the sherline case and point ) I'm shooting for a .0005 repeatability will see?
steve

Ok, my bad, the second set of pics show it more clearly. In the first one it looked for all the world to me as though you'd shrouded the column with aluminum tread plate. :lmao:

Once you've taken your meds you'll probably laugh too. :whistle:

M

I laughed 7
the sad thing is once i have to take a pill i wont turn on a machine so even though it helps, it stops me dead. i have had 6 back surgeries and they didnt fix anything.
steve

Steve, larger VMC's have counterweights to eliminate the inertia effect of pushing and pulling the 300 lb spindle housing up and down. You might consider incorporating some counterbalance system to lighten the load on the Z axis motor. Looks pretty good so far.

Back