rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

Re: zx45 milling machine cnc conversion

I got all the low voltage for the rear panel done. motor connectors ( 4 ), coolant pump control, limit switch, spindle control the only low volt wiring on the front panel is the e-stop no and nc connections. I also ran wires to the relay and the two remaining input terminals on the breakout board to the main panel to make them easier to get to if needed in the future. right now i'm just wiring spindle for an on/off relay.

DIGI0066.JPG

i got a few more parts in the mail today. these are low voltage controlled(3-32vdc) 40amp (24-480vac) relays (overkill but i wont be worried about them heating up )they are mounted on heat sinks. i ordered these so i didnt have to use the transformer and contactor relays i showed in an earlier pic. these will be mounted in a panel on the mill to control the 220v for the spindle and 110v for the coolant pump. these relays are controlled straight off the breakout board by 5v, it makes wiring a lot easier. I have 2 more coming for inside the main enclosure to turn the power supplies on the are 110v controlled. i did that so everything is not on the panel switches. the panel switches will be low amp just turning on the fans and the next 2 relays for the power supplies. the front panel also includes a switch to turn off coolant during a cycle to see if needed and one to turn off the 4th axis power supply when not in use. I will draw a complete wiring diagram when i get done with low voltage and high voltage circuits.
steve

DSCF0194.JPG

You're certainly getting stuff done, and it all seems well thought out too.

M

"7"
I have been planning this project for about 2 years with no money waiting for the day I could start on it.
everything i have been doing including rebuilding my shop and moving my non metal working equipment into another building has been to get ready for this mill and a 9x20 lathe conversion.the parts are here for the lathe also but i want to use this mill to build the lathe parts.
my ballscrews and bearing came this afternoon so i have a lot to work on now. the mechanical part of this is going to take me awhile i have to wait for help on most of it, I cant pick the parts up. the z axis motor is almost too heavy for me to lift.
now when i'm not able to go to the shop i can do the planning for the motor mounts and bearing supports since the parts are here for that part now and i can measure everything. I think i might cast the z motor to ballscrew bearing plate as one piece, it is too big for standoffs they would flex. so there is a mold i have to design also there is a lot of fun ahead.
I will finish all the controls and run the motors so that is done before getting into the mechanicals very much.
steve

I didnt mention to protect the pc and have enough power for the breakout board and the low voltage solidstate relays i'm using a externally powered usb hub it is 2000ma 5v power supply. it was $5 at the flea market. nothing will be drawing power from the computer.

I opened up the ballscrew package and they are really nice there is no play at all side to side or in any direction. I dont know about under load but they look good so far and they are anti backlash.:ups:
the bearing are another matter all together, i have to order better bearings for the drive end. i haven't mounted them to check end play but just looking at them i can see the balls. I could have done better in my scrap box. so i'm ordering new ones and probably using the mounting blocks so it is not a total loss and the free end blocks are the same all except 1 so they have to be replaced also. I cant support a 300 lb head on these bearings. i'm thinking i may be better off with tapered roller bearings on the z axis anyway, a lot more surface area for the load. I'll check around and see if anyone has tried it.
steve

my first major compromise i know of:
7002ab bearing mcmastercarr unsealed $202.23 ea
these bearings at mccmastercarr, grainger,ebay range in price from $89.00 to $540.00 unsealed and some were $705.00 each (name brand)
so since they are that costly unsealed just like mine are, i have decided to find seals to fit my housings to spacers anything but new bearings
the ones i have are rated at 1175 lb, i can do a lot with these for that kind of money. if these fail i will go with double ball bearings and thrust bearings for end play. the endplay is because there is no shim between the bearing races in the housings easy fix.
I am going to put my trust in the chinese on this one and worry about a fix "after" i have a problem.
steve

I started making the motor/ballscrew mount for the z axis today and i figured out what was wrong with the bearing and mount for the ballscrew
that came with china. it came with the seals missing and not preloaded. there was no shim between the outer races of the bearings so the bearings moved in the mount and their inner races would touch each other before and preload was on the balls. it was also supposed to come with seals so i ordered them. I made a spacer and the bearing is fixed just fine now and adjusts the way it should. I made a cad drawing of the motor mount on the top of the z axis converted to g-code and began milling it out. as i said before this sherling mill has no power on the stepper motors ( 170 oz/in i bought too small ) i adjusted up everything having to have the flange that aligns the face of the motor to the mount exact and it cut that perfect. next the center hole and 4 bolt holes were cut and they were just right. then my sherline reminded me of why I am spending all this money, it was warmed up by now and must have started missing steps in the y axis. so the outside of the mounting plate is off center by .060, this wont hurt a thing and i will use it because the center hole aligns every thing and the outside of the motors face plate is cast so it really wont show.
A few people when i was first talking about building my new mill thought my choice of motors were way overkill for this size of a machine. my sherline is whats driving this madness, i cannot stand drawing a good print and getting a bad part.
there is still a tube the coupling will be in and an endcap that holds the bearing to be made. I'll make the endcap with the sherline a little oversize then put it all together and finish it in a 4 jaw on the lathe to ensure i have the bores aligned and all the faces parallel.
steve

DSCF0195.JPG

Back