Router Rotation Direction

Cobra

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am using a small laminate trim router as the motor for a tool post grinder.
I have a speed control for the router to keep the RPM reasonable.
I would like to change the rotational direction of the router.
My understanding is that swapping the wires that go to the brushes will change the direction.
Before I started taking things apart, I thought I would check with the forum.
Thanks for the help.
Jim

Just off the cuff, I wouldn't bet on it. In most cases you can reverse the plug (ignoring the third prong) and it won't change rotational direction.

As far as I know routers are made to run in one direction only and can not be reversed. But why would you want to change the direction anyway ?

I would prefer the grinding wheel to be pushing grit and metal down instead of up.

Jim it is a universal motor and you can indeed change the direction of rotation. Unlike some tools which are designed to run in both directions this router will likely have a leading commutator brush angle which gives it better performance in the normal direction. If it is reversed you may notice a bit more sparking at the commutator, although it should not be excessive.

These motors have two field coils and the armature. Power comes into one field coil (#1) terminal out of that coil (#1) to a brush(#1). The other brush(#2) goes to the terminal of the second field coil(#2) and finally the other terminal goes to neutral.

You essentially want to swap the two terminals going to the brushes. So field coil #1 goes to brush #2 and field coil #2 goes to brush #1.

I am at the rv park enjoying a rainy day and don't have access to make a sketch.

David

Can't just grind on the far side of the ID?

I would have thought that the most common setup would have thrown the swarf down, with standard rotation. Have a pic of your setup?

With the back end of the router pointing toward the tailstock the router should be turning in the right direction to throw sparks and grit downward when grinding an OD.

When I made my tool post grinder out of a surplus rotary tool I only had room on the lathe to mount it behind the workpiece. It does throw stuff up in that location.

David

Back