Router Build

Very elegant work. The QCTP idea is sharp too! Where did you source the spindle?
What do you plan to use this for?
R

Very elegant work. The QCTP idea is sharp too! Where did you source the spindle?
What do you plan to use this for?
R

Thanks rwm. The spindle is from Automation Technologies. It is the 1.5kw 110v model. I have not found much information about others using this version so we will see how it works out.

The machine will be primarily used for plastics, wood and composites.

Jay

I powered up the motors and my suspicions were correct. The 211 in/oz motors are not powerful enough to drive the axis with out stalling. I will have to order some different couplers to switch to the 800 in/oz 34 size motors I have. Hopefully the power supply will be sufficient to drive the larger motors.

Jay

To get maximum torque out of the 800 oz/in motors you will need a 70 volt power supply and 70 volt drives. What are your current power supplies and drives rated at?

I seriously like that you are taking the level of quality to 10 on this project, nicely done so far! How about a pic of your cnc mill? And I'll ask it, the most common CNC question every asked, what are you using for flood coolant and how do you like it?

To get maximum torque out of the 800 oz/in motors you will need a 70 volt power supply and 70 volt drives. What are your current power supplies and drives rated at?

The current power supply is made from a F401U transformer, 25000 mfd 50vdc capacitor & 25A rectifier. It puts out 34vdc.

Drives are some of the first generation Gecko 201's rated 24vdc to 80vdc, up to 7A.

F401U.gif

Motor is a 34H218D30B
PortescapMotorLabel.gif

PotrescapLabel.gif

I seriously like that you are taking the level of quality to 10 on this project, nicely done so far! How about a pic of your cnc mill? And I'll ask it, the most common CNC question every asked, what are you using for flood coolant and how do you like it?

Thanks coolidge!

I have a build thread on the mill but here are a few pics.
PM923 converted to CNC, Belt drive/VFD conversion with 6K spindle, pneumatic drawbar, TTS tooling, flood & mist coolant, one-shot oilers.

pm932mill01.gif pm932mill02.gif pm932mill03.gif

For coolant I use Rustlick 5050 between 5% and 10% min depending on the coolant level as the water evaporates. Anything greater that 10% will cause some rust if not flushed off the table.

I like the coolant because it works well, has only a mild order that is not offensive, and does not irritate my skin if it gets on me.

The biggest drawback is it is very tenacious about removing paint and adhesives (tape etc.).

Jay

To get maximum torque you need to deliver the specified current. Torque is a function of amps and the number of turns in the coil, or ampere-turns. Voltage relates to how fast you can turn the motor while maintaining the specified current.

The coils in the motor resist the change in current (turning coils on and off to make the motor turn) based on their inductance. The inductance will allow the current to change at a certain rate. Increasing the voltage increases this rate of current change. The faster the motor turns, the faster the coils need to turn on and off. At a certain speed the inductance will not allow the current to reach the specified amperage in the amount of time allowed, and the torque will begin to drop. So if you want to make your motor turn faster while maintaining a specific current, you need higher voltage.

Conversely, a lower voltage will limit torque at a lower speed. So 34v will still provide the holding torque, but the rapid movement will be limited.

Nice. How do you like that compressor are they as quiet as they advertise?

Nice. How do you like that compressor are they as quiet as they advertise?

The California air compressors are awesome. I usually hate having the air on but these are sweet. Mine is the 110v model and it works just as well as the 220v model we got for the school last year. Runs my mist system easily. Recovery times are quick too. I highly recommend them.

Jay

Back