1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Router Build

Discussion in 'MACHINE BUILD LOGS' started by jbolt, May 12, 2015.

1. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Looks like it should work. I'm running a 70V, 5 amp supply on my mill. It runs two 400 oz/in DC servos and one 1200 oz/in stepper, and soon to be running a second 1200 oz/in stepper for the rotary axis.

2. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

New power supply came. The toriodal transformer may be too large to fit in the control box. I am going to try and rearrange a few things to see if I can squeeze it in. If not there are two other possibilities. Mount the whole PS in another enclosure or just the transformer in another enclosure with the rectifier module in the control box near the motor drives. Either way anything mounted outside the control box will need about a 4 foot lead because the control box is on drawer slides for access. Anyone see a problem with either of the 2 remote options?

Jay

3. JimDawson

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I see no problem as long as the cable size is adequate to carry the current

4. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I managed to shoehorn in the transformer and rectifier module by rearranging a few items. The steppers work perfectly now.

I also mounted and hooked up the spindle and VFD. I have the spindle working manually but I am scratching my head on the control connection from the BOB to the speed control to the VFD. I have a PMDX-106 speed control and a simple 5 axis unbranded BOB. From the BOB I'm not sure if I can use one of the spare axis outputs for the PWM output to the speed control. On the PMDX-106 I figured out the 0-10v analog connections to the VFD but not the forward and reverse. I believe I need to use connectors J6 & J8 on the speed control but they are relays with nc-com-no terminals. I'm just not sure how these wire to the Huanyang VFD; FOR, REV & DCMc ontrol terminals?

As soon as I get the wiring completed the next step is the monitor and keyboard drawer. Below is a CAD rendering of the concept.

render01.gif

5. aeroHAWK

aeroHAWK United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Langley
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Jay,

Glad to hear you got it all to fit!

Also, if you google "Huanyang VFD Mach3" you will get a bunch of hits that may be of help (but you probably already did that). I am in the process of wiring up a Huanyang on my Bridgeport clone, and I ran across a bunch of posts that may be of help... good luck.

6. Boswell

Boswell United States Hobby Machinist since 2010 H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

jbolt, outstanding work so far. In looking at your drawing of the control panel mount. I would be concerned that with it so close and below the router bed, that it will be covered in chips constantly. Possibly you planed for a chip shield at the end of the router bed that is not shown. I like the idea of having the keyboard and monitor fold up when not in use.

7. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Thanks Boswell.

Yeah there will be some sort of shield to protect the keyboard and monitor. Ideally I would like the monitor and keyboard on a pole mounted to one corner of the stand. I already had all the parts and material to do the drawer and I like the ability to fold it up out of the way so I'm going to go this route first.

I also plan on wrapping the stand to keep debris off things. I'm waiting until it is all together to figure out the best options for that.

Jay

8. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Thanks aeroHAWK.

I know how to setup the Haunyang VFD. It's the PMDX-106 speed control that has me stumped. I really like their products but find the manuals very difficult to figure out. It may be just me but I do not find them very intuitive. Good thing is they have great support so hopefully I will has a response from them soon.

Jay

9. JimDawson

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I taped some 3 mil Mylar over my screen, and use one of those foldable keyboards (about $15). They are made of silicone and completely sealed and hot chips, oil, and spilled coffee don't damage them. You can just hose them off.

10. brav65

brav65 Active User Active Member

City:
    Phoenix
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Hi Jay,

I picked up this monitor mount on eBay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-Arm-D...725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463361cf05

I will also mount the keyboard off of a post so that I can see what is going on with Mach3 and make changes as I go. The computer and control box will be mounted on a rack under the machine and protected from dust and debris.

11. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Thanks Jim, the Mylar on the screen is a good idea. I thought about the silicone keyboards but I wanted a keyboard with a build in touch pad so I don't have to deal with a mouse.

12. Boswell

Boswell United States Hobby Machinist since 2010 H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

13. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

14. aeroHAWK

City:
    Langley
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Jay,
    Did you get your B.O.B. connections figured out? After messing with my VFD, I have some ideas for what you may need. If you have two Normally Open relays available you connect one side of them to DCM, and the other side of one to FOR, and the other to REV. Then you may need to write a macro in MACH3, but the B.O.B. maker may have something....

15. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Thanks areoHAWK!

I have not heard back from PMDX yet. The spindle controller has a Forward and Reverse relay, each with NC-COM-NO terminals. From what you are saying I should be able to wire the COM of each relay to the DCM terminal on the VFD and the NO terminals to the respective FWD and REV terminals? No macros should be required. I should be able to use the same PWM settings in Mach3 as I use on my mill.

I decided to change to a different BOB that has a charge pump monitor. Adds a little more safety to the machine. As soon as that comes in I will see if the wiring works.

Jay

16. aeroHAWK

City:
    Langley
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Yes, exactly.

17. aeroHAWK

City:
    Langley
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Jay,

I was thinking more about your VFD hookups. I realized I made the assumption that your speed controller is set up for the Huanyang VFD. This may not be accurate.

This is what I used for my mill setup (from page 37 of the user manual): FOR-REV.png
    I suspect (after giving it more thought) that your controller expects that when the FWD relay is active, the spindle rotates forward, and when the REV relay is active, it's reversed. However, the Huanyang VFD doesn't seem to work that way.

So connect the COM of both relays as I previously said, but then connect both NO terminals to D1 of the VFD and the NC terminal of the FWD relay to D2 of the VFD.

That way, when the FWD relay is activated, it will open D2 (this will make the rotation forward) and it will close D1, which causes the spindle to start.

Alternately, when the REV relay is activated, D2 is closed already selecting reverse rotation, and D1 will close causing the spindle to start.
    FOR REV.png

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  18. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I changed out the BOB and reconfigured everything and in the process of configuring the spindle there was a pop and my z drive is no longer working. I originally had 3 older Gecko 201's but one was dead so I swapped in a newer Chinese drive on the z axis. If I power cycle the z drive it seems to reset (green light on) but as soon as I enable Mach3 the drive faults (red light on). So I'm not sure if it is an over current or an incompatibility with the new PMDX-122 BOB or a setting???. I like their products but I feel like the village idiot when it comes to reading and understanding their manuals. For now I have ordered another Gecko drive as the other two are working fine. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the spindle running.

Jay

19. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

aeroHAWK, My VFD does not have a D1 & D2 terminal?

The speed control board has a test feature that sends a run at full speed command outside of Mach3. That part works but I have not been able to get Mach3 to turn on the spindle yet. Still working on it....

20. aeroHAWK

City:
    Langley
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

My apologies Jay. From page 36 of the User Manual:
    D1-C6.png

D1 is the FOR terminal.
    D2 is the REV terminal.

21. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Perfect! .......well almost, in this configuration I can start/stop and fwd/rev the spindle with mach3 but cannot change the speed. It is always 100%.

What is odd is that with PD070 = 1 (0-5v) I get 100% (400hz). When set to = 0 (0-10V) I get 50% (200hz). My board is set for 0-10v pwm.

22. aeroHAWK

City:
    Langley
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Jay,

I'm glad the FWD/REV is working....

Yeah, I'm getting strange results with the same settings. It doesn't make sense to me. I tested mine using a 10k pot for remote speed control. It gave similar results. So I'm as confused as you are.... :confused:

23. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Well I partially figured out one of my problems. The VFD control panel has a built-in potentiometer. It appears that this is interfering with the control inputs from the speed control board. I took the control panel out to see if I could disable the POT but I cannot get the knob off to pull the PCB out. I'm concerned I will damage something if I pull too hard. I tried swapping the control panel from my mill but as it turns out the settings are held in the control panel. I'd rather not mess up the mill so I'm leaving it alone. Not sure what to do now....

24. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I finally figured it out. The VFD has an on-board potentiometer that was interfering with the output of the pmdx-106 speed control. There is a jumper in the VFD for on-board or external input. After making that change I had to change the wiring from the pmdx-106 to the VFD:

J6 NO --> FOR (VFD PD044 = 02)
    J6 COM --> DCM

J8 NO --> REV (VFD PD0045 = 03)
    J8 COM --> DCM

J2 LOW --> AGM
    J2 SET --> VI

After making those changes I was able to run the calibration on the PMDX-106 and all is working as it should from Mach3.

Jay

TomS likes this.
  25. aeroHAWK

City:
    Langley
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

That's GREAT Jay! :encourage:

Thanks for posting the working parameters. It helps me know more about the VFD. It also shows me I didn't know as much as I thought I knew. :confused:

26. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I'm not claiming to know anything. Safer that way.

27. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I pulled out the Z drive (DM860A) and found that a diode on the back of the drive board has exploded. That explains the pop I heard. Question is why did the diode blow?

It was fine with the old PS and BOB, at least during the times I was testing it. It happened after changing the power supply and BOB but it had been operating okay for a while before blowing. It blew shortly after powering up the VFD for the first time. Not sure if there is a connection there or just coincidence. The Gecko drives are operating fine.

Another thing is when the Z drive was still plugged in after it blew the diode I noticed the X & Y Motors were hotter than usual. After unplugging the Z drive the X & Y motors went back to normal temps.

28. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Here is the back of the DQM860A. Hmmmm... somethings missing.....

Board back.gif board back close.gif

Hidyn likes this.
  29. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Alrighty....after several weeks of doing, undoing, redoing, ordering and reordering parts the electronics, I now have a fully functional machine! Sheesh I though this build would go smoother.

My plans to use most of the original components from the controller slowly went out the door. I have now replaced the power supply, breakout board, Geckodrives and removed the PC from the control box and installed it is a separate computer case. The control box now holds just the PS, BOB and Gecko's.

During the reconfiguration process I had dropped some copper wire trimmings in the case and some got into the mother board causing a fault. At that point I decided it would best to separate the PC from everything else. Fortunately the PC still works fine. With that out of the control box I reconfigured the layout to make things easier to service. It was kind of a nightmare with everything in one box.

The new Gecko G201X's are really sweet drives. Easy to configure, small form factor and tune the motors nicely plus they keep the motors nice and cool.

I had swapped out the original 34vd power supply for a 77vdc unit but after blowing the rectifier diodes on a Chinese drive I had on the Z-axis I replaced that with a 67vdc unit to give the Gecko's a little more headroom. I can't tell the difference in power from the 67vdc to the 77vdc units.

I have put the keyboard / monitor drawer on hold. I found a keyboard / monitor stand at a local computer surplus store for cheap so I am using that. Kind of a hack mounting job but it will do for a while. I may ditching the separate PC, keyboard and monitor and use a laptop on the stand with a better mounting job.

The spindle is a 1.5Kw 110vac water cooled unit from Automation Technologies along with a mating 1.5Kw 110vac VFD. I had not found much information on the 110vac spindles so I took a chance on it. I have not cut anything yet but so far it seems to run well. The VFD took a while to figure out the programming.

The typical Huanyang manual's can be tricky to follow plus they are for the 220/380 vac units, nothing in them about 110vac units. Fortunately I had gone through programming a Huanyang on my mill so I knew most of the parameters that needed to be entered. The only hiccup I had was the unit came with a built-in speed pot. That was interfering with the inputs from the spindle speed control board. Took me a while to find in the manual how to disable it.

Spindle cooling is a PC cooling radiator, 120mm fan and a small PC coolant pump. I'm hoping the single fan & radiator will be sufficient. I'm going to keep a close eye on temps for a while.

Just got done setting up the home/Limit switches and calibrating all the axis so it should be good to go.

Tomorrow I will pickup some MDF for the table top and see about running a test engraving program.

Jay

McrCNC01.gif McrCNC02.gif McrCNC03.gif McrCNC04.gif McrCNC05.gif McrCNC06.gif McrCNC07.gif McrCNC08.gif McrCNC09.gif McrCNC010.gif

Hidyn and genec like this.
  30. TomS

TomS Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Nice looking machine! Glad you got the bugs worked out.

Tom S