Roundover Cutters on the Mill

Woodworker

Registered
Registered
Any insights on using roundover bits on the vertical mill before I go off making chips? How does one get the cut 'flush' with the side and the top? Sneak up on one, then the other? I've spent some effort getting a piece sized up, now I want to put some finish on it. But I don't want to ruin the whole thing now. This will be for looks only, not a critical feature. Thanks Steve

Cut in only one axis at a time. Don't let the cut line on the part ever reach the end of the cutter flutes. If you do that, no problem. Then again, some people actually want steps on their edges...

I work mostly in steel. I agree that you might get away with using the cutter in aluminum as per the video, but your cutters will not last in steel if used as in the video. I have seen several videos that use the cutters the same, but they are way different from method I was thought during my apprenticeship.

I was taught to chamfer the edge of the block with a 45 cutter before using the round over end mills; just leave about .005 on the tangent point for the final cut. Saves a LOT of wear in the center of the cutter, and allows for a single conventional roughing cut followed by single climb finish cut. As Tom stated, no matter what the material is, the finish cut is always climb milling.

Back