Rounding edges in mid-bar

spike7638

Registered
Registered
I've got some pieces made from .25" x 1.25" stainless bar stock about a foot long. About three inches from one end, I'd like to round off the corners with a 1/8" radius, so that I end up with a cross section that looks like a pair of .25"-diameter semicircles separated by some 0.75" lines. In ASCII pictures, something like this:

where the open- and close-parentheses are my best attempt at half-circles. This "rounded" section needs to extend about 0.5" long, and I'd like the roundover to "fade" nicely back to the sharper corners of the original stock over perhaps 0.25" at each end of the rounded section.

If this were wood, I'd get a roundover bit for my router and probably make pretty quick work of the job. For stainless, I have no idea how to approach it. I could do it with files or a narrow-strip belt sander, I suppose (the shape doesn't need to be perfect to within thousandths or anything like that), but I'm wondering if there's an obvious approach that I'm missing.

What Jim said ^^^^

Get a 1/2" shank router bit. It will surprise you.

Hunh! I had no idea. I'll definitely give this a try. It's amazing the things I learn on my occasional visits here! Thanks, folks!

Joe Pieczynski did a recent You Tube video where he had to round a trunnion strap for a miniature cannon. It is similar to what you want to do.

Back