Round Parallels?

kplyler

Registered
Registered
So the other night I was watching a OXtools youtube video, and he mentioned he was sending a "round parallel" out to be ground. When I saw it, I realized I had one in a box of garage-sale stuff I bough a few months ago. Sure enough I found it. I have been searching the web, and HM, but can't find anything about what you use one for. Its roughly the shape of a coke can (a bit bigger in diameter). Has 5 holes evenly distributed, and aligned with the cylindrical axis. Holes are ~1/4" in diameter. There is a hole in the center, but it down not apear to go all the way through (maybe clogged?). That hole is ~1/16". Anyone have a link to where these are sold? or what they are used for?

Also, the probably unrelated box of small calendars next to it, any idea what they are?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
You'll probably have better luck searching for "cylindrical square".

-frank

^ :+1: That is what I have always herd them called.

Precision scrap. Currently $100/ton.
I'm here for you!
Send her to MN, and save your trip to the scrap yard!

As suggested above, you may have a cylinder square.
Check out:

Regardless, my offer stands current market $100 ton. I pay freight for this precision scrap.
Seriously, let me know if you need to unload this albatross. For a fair price, I'll take the risk of her being way off precise.

All of the Suburban Tool videos are worth watching. My opinion....

Daryl
MN

Cylinder squares are nice to have. The hole through the center are center holes, they were used to hold the square for grinding on the OD grinder it was ground on.

The other box of pieces were probably bearing rollers for an annular needle/roller bearing.

Back