Round Magnetic Chuck for Lathe

Pretty cool there, Will. That thing cleaned up really nice!

Glad you're getting back into the shop.

Pretty cool there, Will. That thing cleaned up really nice!

Glad you're getting back into the shop.

Thanks Mike! Yes it feels good to play in the shop again. Been a while. Spent last week changing the oil on the lathe, mill, bandsaw, & air compressor as well as fully cleaning the lathe & mill. Haven't done any of that in almost 3 yrs. I'm so sick of oil changes now! Also changed the leaky spindle seals on the mill. Ready to start making chips again & finish long overdue projects.

You've been missed, Will, I assure you. Happy to see you back and I enjoyed your usual high quality work and photos.

My mag chuck is still sitting in the box, waiting for me to actually find time to get into the shop. Life is hectic right now but I'll get back to it eventually.

I am interested to see some actual results.............I have a round mag chuck that came with a Landis grinder...........it works great on the grinder...........but on a lathe ,I found that its not so great.......the main issue being if the tool picks up the cut,the work moves ,tool jags in ,and next thing the work is hanging off the chuck...(if you re lucky)............had a couple of narrow scrapes trying to deepen the O ring grooves in Cat transmission pump end plates,after facing them on the Landis.

Beautiful work. I've seen good success at an old job doing just what you are doing with the mag chuck. Very sharp tools and light cuts are key. You're halfway between a lathe and a cylindrical grinder with this setup so think in terms of the care required for grinding.

Beautiful work. I've seen good success at an old job doing just what you are doing with the mag chuck. Very sharp tools and light cuts are key. You're halfway between a lathe and a cylindrical grinder with this setup so think in terms of the care required for grinding.

Thanks! Yep, I quickly learned how deep of a cut I could take on such small part with not much surface area to hold. I thought about blocking the part in but after switching to a sharper tool (I actually used an alumn specific CCGT) & gave it more RPM it was fine.

Perfect timing, new chuck key showed up yesterday. I wanted a bit longer handle than the one it came with. 7mm square chuck keys aren't easy to find. I thought for sure I was going to have to make one. Got one all the way from the UK from Myford.

Good quality especially for the price. Handle was way too long so I shortened it a bit. I'm happy now.

Measured the runout on the lathe today. I get about .00015"-.00025" depending on the dia I measure on the face, well so my indicator says. Pretty good for not taking a skim cut. :)

Back