Rotary

I have heard they are good qaulity, but if your powering only 1or2 machines, a VFD might be more appealing to you. The VFD prices are quite good these days.

He wants $700 for the rotary. How does that compare to the variable drives and what's a good brand of VFD?

Can't help you on the VFDs but if the used rotary is 10hp then you aren't saving much over the factory price. The 10 HP rotary will start a 5 HP machine with no problem. What are your requirements? Also you have to consider any machine controls that might not go through the VFDs and how to power them. That 10hp rotary is probably going to need a 50a breaker. That's what I run my homemade one on.

That price seems pretty high, You could build your own much cheaper Im sure. VFD brands are many. I have a couple of Teco VFDs that I happen to like. Easy to wire up, and easy to setup. Very user friendly.

If its only 1 or 2 machines, look at the VFDs

I have a 10hp rotary phase converter, I have 6 machines in my new shop and I can run 3 at a time if needed. Only ones I really have to watch what I'm doing is the Lathes and the shaper.

VDFs are great if you only have 1 or 2 machines, But if your like the rest of us there always following people home.

Every time I get another one I say know more but I always find another one to take home.

That is a high price for that one, I've got nothing in one and about 200.00 in the other. Had to buy all of the components for that one. Both are 10hp.

Paul

It will be a mill, lathe and surface grinder. I want a cutoff saw too but don't know if they are normaly single phase?

Old Iron has a good point about machines following us home. For the guys that have that happen alot, the RPC is better. Ive built several converters for other guys, and usually I had 2 to 3 hundred bucks into the project. Most where 7.5 to 15 hp, and all pony start. No start caps, and never bothered with trying to balance them either.

How many machines do you need power for?
That may be the deciding factor VFD,or RPC.

It will be 3 machines with a optional saw if they are normally 3 phase. The mill will be at most 3hp but not sure about the lathe and grinder.

I have a 10HP & 20HP American rotary and a 50HP that I think is TECO (man its noisy) but they are
all to run CNC's. If I were using them on a manual machine, I would have just built it myself. However
I couldn't find an idler that would be balanced well enough for the cnc control.

If you plan to run manual equipment you need to find an idler motor that I would recommend is at least
1/3 bigger than your highest load. Thats because you are generating one third of the power.

Good Luck!!

Paul

Back