rotary table videos

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Anyone know of some good videos on the inside and outs of using a rotary table ???

It is a Rotary device used in a mill for doing round work that can not be easily done in a manual mill any other way.

I have actually watched several "tubalcain" how to videos, I am appalled at best frightened at worst, what do I know? Been doing it wrong for 30 years probably.

Telling name however.

Last edited:
I'm not going to be able to point you to any videos but I can suggest making a plate to bolt to the top of your rotary table with lots of drilled and tapped holes because attaching your work to the table is half the battle. A quick centering method is using a center in the spindle positioned in the center hole of the rotary table letting the rotary table float while you bring the quill down then lock the rotary table down.

Piney that's kinda what I did
IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0507.JPG
8" vertex, mt 3 center, 1.118 thick mi6, , 3/8" dowel centered in mt3 snug slip fit, 10" top
That's what happened when I got mine.

I have an Enco 12" RT more or less permanently mounted on my old mill drill (at 200 lbs., I don't like to move it). The center hole is cylindrical and 1" in diameter. I made an adapter for the 4" chuck from my Atlas/Craftsman 6 x 18 (it has a 1"-10 tpi spindle mount) which is threaded into a backing plate on the bottom of the RT with a stud from my clamp set. This makes for a quick centering fixture for cylindrical stock.

To reference the RT, I will put a piece of stock in the chuck and and make a cylindrical cut on the stock by offsetting the RT slightly and rotating the RT through 360º while cutting with the end mill. This creates a cylinder which is centered on the RT. I then use my edge finder to find the center of the boss (left side,right side, front and back) and set my mill DRO to 0,0. For larger work pieces, I remove the chuck and use the edge finder to find the center hole in the RT.

Back