Rotary Table -Super Spacer Identification

David

Active User
Registered
I need some help with identifing this rotary chuck and opinions on how to best get this chuck into service.

This chuck has been sitting in my shop for a couple of years, so I have decided to get it out and see if it is salvageable. At first I was not sure of the make due to the ID tag being illegible. With some research, it looks like it is a Yuasa! It is 8 1/4 " dia with a 2 1/2" bore. The table is smooth and locks into position with no problem.

Now the bad news. I do not have any chuck jaws and it is missing a handle. The chuck scroll works fairly smooth, but needs cleaning.

Is this a Yuasa? (now that I can view pic it sure looks that is what is on tag)
What brand of chuck might this be?
Can jaws be purchased for this chuck?
Is there other chucks that can be easily adapted?

Any help will be appreciated

David

super spacer 008.jpg super spacer 006.jpg super spacer 004.jpg super spacer 007.jpg

I need some help with identifing this rotary chuck and opinions on how to best get this chuck into service.

This chuck has been sitting in my shop for a couple of years, so I have decided to get it out and see if it is salvageable. At first I was not sure of the make due to the ID tag being illegible. With some research, it looks like it is a Yuasa! It is 8 1/4 " dia with a 2 1/2" bore. The table is smooth and locks into position with no problem.

Now the bad news. I do not have any chuck jaws and it is missing a handle. The chuck scroll works fairly smooth, but needs cleaning.

Is this a Yuasa? (now that I can view pic it sure looks that is what is on tag)
What brand of chuck might this be?
Can jaws be purchased for this chuck?
Is there other chucks that can be easily adapted?

Any help will be appreciated

David

What Charlie said.......... just make a table to which you can mount a regular chuck if you want to center things, or make one with plenty of threaded holes so you can use your step block clamps.

Here's a drilled and threaded table on a much smaller rotab, but you get the idea:

$T2eC16dHJGoE9nuQg2,6BQN5ZQYTNg~~60_12.jpg

M

$T2eC16dHJGoE9nuQg2,6BQN5ZQYTNg~~60_12.jpg

Time for plan "B".

After more research, the rotary table/chuck is a Yuasa. Built in 1977. I placed a call to Yuasa this morning and they said the replacement jaw set was about $800 and the chuck was $1625, so a factory replacement is not an option.

Now the search begins for an adaptable chuck at a reasonable price. As suggested, I like the idea of adapting a plate to the table but would still like the option of a chuck also.

If I do this modification, a total height/weight of this unit will be of concern.

Does anybody have a cheaper replacement chuck recommendation (8")

Where is the best place to buy a 12" x 1" aluminum round stock for the table?

Thanks

David

Just buy square stock, bolt it to the chuck and do all of your machining from that point. That way it will all be true to the rotary table. Try a scrap yard for material. I think I would use steel as over time I think you will be stripping threads in the aluminum.

Time for plan "B".

After more research, the rotary table/chuck is a Yuasa. Built in 1977. I placed a call to Yuasa this morning and they said the replacement jaw set was about $800 and the chuck was $1625, so a factory replacement is not an option.

Now the search begins for an adaptable chuck at a reasonable price. As suggested, I like the idea of adapting a plate to the table but would still like the option of a chuck also.

If I do this modification, a total height/weight of this unit will be of concern.

Does anybody have a cheaper replacement chuck recommendation (8")

Where is the best place to buy a 12" x 1" aluminum round stock for the table?

Thanks

David

You might get lucky and find something on eBay or online (I got an 8"x 1.5" slice for $13 shipped), but you may have to get a 12" square plate and machine it to size; or not, because it doesn't actually have to be round, just accurately centered on the rotab.

M

That is an indexer. It looks like you could take the chuck off of it. Then adapt anouther chuck to it.

Plan "B" update.

Located a used Yuasa chuck for the Super Spacer. Cleaned it up and added some paint. Also cleaned the tail stock and painted as well. The Moore 10" rotary table shown is next for cleaning and paint.

Happy with the spacer for sure!

David

super spacer 022.jpg super spacer 021.jpg

Nice job on the clean up and paint, Also your were lucky to fine the chuck it all looks good.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I used the same paint you used on your DP. I think I will use it on my drill press when I can get to the rebuild.

David

Back