Rotary table style lathe compound?

intjonmiller

Registered
Registered
Does such a thing exist? I realize it would probably be a considerable challenge to fit one to any given lathe and still be able to get a tool at center height. That's not what I'm thinking, at least at this point. Just wondering if any manufacturer has ever had a precisely adjustable lathe compound. Seems like a great concept, but in my searching (this forum and google in general) I haven't found anything like it so far.

Who wouldn't like to be able to dial in their compound quickly to accurately repeatable angles without all the indicating and math to measure it some other way? Just turn a small crank like you would a rotary table until the correct angle, then lock it down the way you do any other compound. This seems like a missed opportunity for a manufacturer to really differentiate themselves, but maybe I'm just missing some major fault or someone has actually done it and I can't find it?

I actually used it to hold work. However I think it wouldn't be too hard to make a block with rockers to hold several tool bits. Something like this except with a rocker:

th2.jpg

Numerical Control has made this pretty much a done deal.

One may employ 1960 methods to achieve 2017 goals, why would anyone do such a thing?

Wreck" data-source="post: 461781" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Numerical Control has made this pretty much a done deal.

One may employ 1960 methods to achieve 2017 goals, why would anyone do such a thing?
Why does anyone still sell manual lathes?

You'll also note that I specifically said that I'm not trying to do this so much as curious if it has ever been done. Your response misses the point entirely.

Why does anyone still sell manual lathes?

You'll also note that I specifically said that I'm not trying to do this so much as curious if it has ever been done. Your response misses the point entirely.
No offence intended, and yes I understand what you propose is a hypothetical notion, however technology as it often does flew right over that sort of thing for obvious reasons. Relax.

What advantage would be gained by adding a component that is not needed?

Rotary tables have been around FAR longer than any form of numerical control. If that seems like a nitpick then you're still missing the point.

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

i-6x962dm.jpg

Jon,
Sounds like a great idea to me, but there just isn't enough room to mount it.
Best bet is to develop an efficient way to adjust the compound.
This looks about as easy as it gets:

Back