Rotary table problem

Video_man

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Bought a beautiful new 8 inch Phase II rotary table, very pleased with it. And then --- disaster --- one time as I was lifting the heavy and oily table, every so carefully, to the mill table ---- somehow it slipped from my grasp and fell to the concrete floor. No apparent damage to the outside, the table rotates nicely and the dti shows it's still concentric ---BUT the worm will not longer disconnect (rotate out of engagement) so the table can be rotated by hand.

OK, the instructions warn not to even bump the worm, it's fragile. And I can live without the manual capability. But I hate it when things don't work right. My attempts to open the table, working with the parts diagram, have come to naught. It was a truck shipment and sending it to the US distributor for repair is impractical.

Questions: Anybody know how to disassemble this table? Is doing that likely to do more harm than good, i.e., mess up the table alignment?
If I did disassemble it, assuming the worm is bent somehow, is it home-fixable?

At this point, I am leaving well-enough alone, but appreciate any thoughts.

Years ago, I repaired, customized, a couple of those. Not that brand of course...got any pics?

Thanks, Metalmann, Well, there doesn't seem to be any visible damage, but here are some photos:

I have made a try at dis-assembly using the attached parts diagram, but the table locks (part 5) are firmly, if not locktited, in place and I assume they have to turn. I'm worried that if I did remove the table from the base that it might not go back in good alignment, which is more important to me than the worm connect/disconnect feature. Thoughts?

rtable2.jpg rtable3.jpg rtable4.jpg

I have Benny's RT sitting on my BP right now, it is in perfect working order so I'll disassemble it and see what makes it tick:lmao: I'll also let you know how hard it is to reassemble:lmao:

I have Benny's RT sitting on my BP right now, it is in perfect working order so I'll disassemble it and see what makes it tick:lmao: I'll also let you know how hard it is to reassemble:lmao:

That's very generous, might be a problem with that idea, I just can't put my finger on it at the moment...!:huh:

Tell me again why you would take apart my "perfect working" rotary table:(

Benny

I can't work out from the drawing how the worm is put in and out of mesh with the wheel. I'd assume there is some sort of eccentric in there but might be wrong.
You might be able to get the worm out without removing the table. If you remove all the worm retaining screws you might be able to wind the worm out of mesh and them remove it. Just a thought. I wouldn't think you would have any alignment problems on re-assemble if you do have to remove the table. Can you keep us informed as to your progress (with pics if possible) please? It might be very helpful to others here.
regards
bollie7

I can't work out from the drawing how the worm is put in and out of mesh with the wheel. I'd assume there is some sort of eccentric in there but might be wrong.

You're right, there is an eccentric, part 37 I think. I've tried removing all the screws but the worm shaft and eccentric are retained internally as far as I can tell. Nothing coming out through the opening behind the handwheel, although I have tried. Thanks for the thought!

What's item no 8? Is it an oil filler plug or a nut to retain the wormshaft? Looks like there is an O ring or washer so I'm guessing a filler plug. Is there any holes, cover plates etc on that side of the housing?
Looking at the diagram it appears that the worm and all the bits go in from the handwheel end so they should come out, but if something has broken inside then it could be a problem.
Too bad you are so far away. I love mucking around with this sort if thing.
regards
bollie7

Back