Rotary Table Leaking

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
A few months ago I got a new 8" Chinese rotary table. Since then I've only used it a couple of times. Yesterday I mounted it vertically on the mill and while using it I discovered it was leaking oil around the dial and the table top. At first I thought it was because I transported it home with the dial resting on the floor of the truck and maybe I bent something but last night I thought maybe it's being caused by the oil I used. Maybe it's attacking some brass inside the table. I can't recall what oil I used but it might have been engine oil.

Should I dump this oil and put in some hydraulic oil or use something else?

If I take the table apart will there be obvious signs if the brass is being attacked?

HBilly, I think that is a pretty common problem with the Chinese RT's. I bought a Phase II, 8" a few years ago, filled it with oil and it all ran out within 24 hours. Now when I use it I oil it sparingly and don't worry about it. Just don't fill it full like I did the first time.

Thanks guys.

I just came in from the shop and while I was out there I checked the RT and sure enough the sight glass shows it's out of oil. Guess I'll just add some the next time I need to use it.

I like the grease idea but would have to take it apart to get grease in it. There is a small oil spout on the outside of the case and using that to put oil into the base is quite time consuming as it runs in very slowly. No way grease is going in there, unless I use a grease gun but not sure if that would be a good idea.

Having disassembled my 8" PhaseII table (long sad story) I can say that it and similar tables have no oil seals except around the locking levers under the table, and the tables generally leak like sieves. The actual space for oil near the worm gear is actually pretty small, so not a lot of oil is needed. There is no seal around the table itself, so when used vertically, leakage is assured. The passages for oil from the oil fittings on the side of the table are very small, and grease would clog them, if it could be introduced there in the first place. Grease put into the larger oil fitting (usually marked, natch, OIL) would never reach where it is needed. Disassembly is the only way to grease the worm gear but is not recommended; but if you have to, I have previously posted step-by-step instructions here which a search for Phase II disassembly will turn up. But don't do it. Total PITA.

Having disassembled my 8" PhaseII table (long sad story) I can say that it and similar tables have no oil seals except around the locking levers under the table, and the tables generally leak like sieves. The actual space for oil near the worm gear is actually pretty small, so not a lot of oil is needed. There is no seal around the table itself, so when used vertically, leakage is assured. The passages for oil from the oil fittings on the side of the table are very small, and grease would clog them, if it could be introduced there in the first place. Grease put into the larger oil fitting (usually marked, natch, OIL) would never reach where it is needed. Disassembly is the only way to grease the worm gear but is not recommended; but if you have to, I have previously posted step-by-step instructions here which a search for Phase II disassembly will turn up. But don't do it. Total PITA.

Thanks Videoman. Your warning has been noted and will not be ignored. I'll stick with oil and just deal with the clean up. I really like the RT as its movements are very smooth and it is very solid. From my first checks, I recall it was also true. Only thing I don't like is that it's quite heavy. As a matter of fact it gets heavier every time I pick it up.

My 6" Tormach RT is essentially a Phase II clone and it leaks oil when used vertically. There is no provision for a seal on the circumference of the table so when used vertically, the oil just runs out. Perhaps more important, when using flood coolant, the coolant enters the interior of the RT requiring draining and flushing after use. IMO, a poor design.

I tried using a product like Motor Honey, thinking the higher viscosity would slow the leak but it didn't help noticeably.

I have thought about milling a gland on the circumference and adding an O ring. Haven't gone anywhere with it

Of course,as a general rule,HEAVY is a GOOD thing. not to our aging backs,though!! I have a 12" German rotary table that took 2 of us to get onto a special tool cabinet I built,with a stainless covered top where the rotary table goes.

I need to sell it as at my age it is WAYYYYYY too heavy.

My 8" Taiwan horizontal/vertical Rutland rotary table is the most I want to lift any more, and fills the table width of my Millrite.

Thanks Videoman. Your warning has been noted and will not be ignored. I'll stick with oil and just deal with the clean up. I really like the RT as its movements are very smooth and it is very solid. From my first checks, I recall it was also true. Only thing I don't like is that it's quite heavy. As a matter of fact it gets heavier every time I pick it up.

Dropping that oily, hard to handle boat anchor is the source of my long sad story. It takes only a little bump to lock up the worm engagement.

Back