Rotary table indexing plates

It is not at all difficult to calculate indexing on rotary tables or dividing heads for simple numbers of divisions, but a table of divisions is the best approach, I had two rotary tables with different ratios and my P&W slotter, and have tables from Troyke that cover them. Generally 3 plates cover all divisions possible.

I have a nice chart for my plates already, I was trying to figure out how to accomplish the task in Excel. I know the basic idea behind it, but I can't figure out how to make it display the correct number of holes for the plate in use.

For example, my table is 1:90 and if I wanted to calculate 19 holes and my chart says to use Plate A - 38. On the chart it says 4 turns and 28 holes or 28/38. In Excel, as close as I can get is 4 turns and 14/19.

24 position indexer.
1679980745923.png
12 cuts using slitting saw ,,, make your own mandrel the ones on the market suck ass
1679981037200.png
I am making what is called 12 slot railroad style trim rings
1679981154128.png
1679981268301.png
24 slot RR style trim rings, indexing is a normal part of making pool cues.
Rotary you divide what ever amount of cuts by 360 degrees .
Because I cut in points on pool cues ( A tapered V cut ) example would be six pointed pool cue.
Divide 360 X 6 is a cut every 60 degrees
1679982191554.png
Some numbers do not divide equally 360 degrees.. LIKE #7
Rotary indexer is more versatile
Allot of splines are knurled in
Its a different profile then a live cutter

The calculator is a fine tool and certainly does the job. Over the years I've downloaded a number of calculators. Unfortunately, because they aren't used on a regular basis it takes me la fair amount of time to locate them on the computer and use them. Once I do get to the computer, I find it addictive. I spend as much or more time on the computer than I do making the part in the shop.

To keep things flowing smoothly once I'm in the shop I tend to rely on wall charts. Here's one I came across for the L-W Chuck Co. dividing head I picked up a couple weeks ago. I wasn't sure the plates that came with it were actually for the machine, so I tried out a few different hole patterns over the last few days. All seem to work well, but one must be from a different manufacturer. The mounting hole pattern is slightly different and makes it difficult to install and remove. I'll be going back to the dealer next week and trade it in for one that fits better.

Attachments

• L-W_11_inch_hole_table.pdf
    633.2 KB · Views: 18
For example, my table is 1:90 and if I wanted to calculate 19 holes and my chart says to use Plate A - 38. On the chart it says 4 turns and 28 holes or 28/38. In Excel, as close as I can get is 4 turns and 14/19.
You've got it, 14/19 and 28/38 are the same fraction, you just need the denominator of your fraction to match the number of holes on your dividing plate. Multiply top and bottom by two, bingo.

I have a nice chart for my plates already, I was trying to figure out how to accomplish the task in Excel. I know the basic idea behind it, but I can't figure out how to make it display the correct number of holes for the plate in use.

Excel is reducing the fraction. The answer is correct, you just want to tell excel not to simplify the result.

Excel is reducing the fraction. The answer is correct, you just want to tell excel not to simplify the result.
Yep, the answer is correct. I tried as you said but I was unable to figure it out.

Back