Rotary Table For The X2 Mill?

natoround

Registered
Registered
I have occasional need for a Rotary Table and I expect a 4" would be about the perfect fit for a X2 mill. However I would like to buy a 6" in case I ever move up from the X2 mill. Will a 6" be a mistake to try to use on a X2?

I put a 6" table on my X2 mainly for mounting a 6" chuck as the larger chuck has a much bigger through hole and you can secure bigger material. I also bought the Z extension rack and gas strut from LMS. This gives more room for longer tooling. That little machine gets a thrashing, it's like giving a three year old a 12lb hammer and expecting them to make dust from granite boulders.
The belt drive conversion was also installed. Had 3 sets of plastic gears, broke them all (rough bastard).
John.

Turnitupper, if you remember, which gears broke? I just bought a Grizzly G0781 which is really close to the LMS 3990 mill. I thought I might have some gears on hand in case I do the same and break them. I'm new, so I'm sure I'll do something ill considered and snap some gears.

Thanks.

Turnitupper, if you remember, which gears broke? I just bought a Grizzly G0781 which is really close to the LMS 3990 mill. I thought I might have some gears on hand in case I do the same and break them. I'm new, so I'm sure I'll do something ill considered and snap some gears.

Thanks.
6mmBR, the gears were the plastic ones in the hi/lo gearbox. I bought my x2 s/h with 2 spare sets of gears. The former owner also had trouble with breaking gears. If your mill has a similar set up I STRONGLY suggest that you upgrade to a belt drive, MUCH quieter, no pulling apart to replace gears in the middle of a job, can use the belt as a clutch and it seems to cut smoother and have more useable power at the cutter. I run a 2" face mill in aluminiumwithout too much trouble (have'nt tried a 1mm cut in steel YET:rolleyes:). LMS state their conversion kit will fit a G0781.Pic below.
John. belt.JPG

I held my nose and bought a 4" basic rotary table with no plates or accessories for $57.00 I didn't expect much and felt like it was wasted money before it arrived. After opening the box and inspecting it I am very pleased for the price. I will use it a bit and may buy a higher quality more feature rich one in the future. This one seems very usable for my limited use.
I'm waiting for LMS to put the belt drive on weekly special... I hope... That and a power drive for the x axis are tops on my wanted list.
If you guys haven't installed DRO's then do it. I got a set of digital caliper types off Ebay for under $100.00 and they work very well.

6mmBR, the gears were the plastic ones in the hi/lo gearbox. I bought my x2 s/h with 2 spare sets of gears. The former owner also had trouble with breaking gears. If your mill has a similar set up I STRONGLY suggest that you upgrade to a belt drive, MUCH quieter, no pulling apart to replace gears in the middle of a job, can use the belt as a clutch and it seems to cut smoother and have more useable power at the cutter. I run a 2" face mill in aluminiumwithout too much trouble (have'nt tried a 1mm cut in steel YET:rolleyes:). LMS state their conversion kit will fit a G0781.Pic below.
John.View attachment 111198

I just received the mill Friday. I haven't made a cut yet. I have read about the gears going south, and I'm already considering the belt kit you linked to. Thanks for the link. I was thinking I'd order metal gears to replace those plastic ones, but the belt kit actually sounds better.

I haven't broken a gear yet but I only have a couple of hours time on mine so.... I'm hoping for LMS to run a sale on the belt drive...
The only thing I have broken was a 1/8" end mill. I tried to push the cutting rate a bit and without any sign of complaint it snapped.
It was on of the cheap Chicom cutters so it wasn't a expensive high quality item.

I just received the mill Friday. I haven't made a cut yet. I have read about the gears going south, and I'm already considering the belt kit you linked to. Thanks for the link. I was thinking I'd order metal gears to replace those plastic ones, but the belt kit actually sounds better.

Get the pulley and belt kit,forget the metal gears.
mike

Back