[Newbie] Rotary Ph Changer ???

gotogojo

Active User
Registered
can a 15 hp Baylor 3 ph while be used as a converter to dr a 3 ph 10 hp motor. can a man put a hyd pump 16 gal a min Baylor has double shafts hooked to one of the shafts?? the 10 hp would not be under a load when the hyd. is being used or only one is under power at a time . sounds like it mite work but don.t want to build this up then not getting some elec. advise on this and find out I was all wrong. again long list of wrongs to add to.thanks gotogojo

can a 15 hp Baylor 3 ph while be used as a converter to dr a 3 ph 10 hp motor. can a man put a hyd pump 16 gal a min Baylor has double shafts hooked to one of the shafts?? the 10 hp would not be under a load when the hyd. is being used or only one is under power at a time . sounds like it mite work but don.t want to build this up then not getting some elec. advise on this and find out I was all wrong. again long list of wrongs to add to.thanks gotogojo

The formula for what you are trying to determine is: HP=PSI x GPM divided by 1714. Assuming a pressure of 1000 PSI @ 16 GPM you will need about 9.33 HP. The 10 HP of the RPC would cover that. If you need more pressure you could employ a pressure-compensated variable volume pump which reduces volume above a pressure setting. That will slow down your cylinder speed but apply more splitting force. Another approach would be to use a 2-stage pump and a bypass valve on the high volume section. A pressure switch controls the bypass valve and allows the lower volume pump to produce more splitting pressure. This requires electric solenoid valves and can be cost prohibitive. You could use a sequence valve instead of a pressure switch. That involves more piping but does not require electrics.

The formula for what you are trying to determine is: HP=PSI x GPM divided by 1714. Assuming a pressure of 1000 PSI @ 16 GPM you will need about 9.33 HP. The 10 HP of the RPC would cover that. If you need more pressure you could employ a pressure-compensated variable volume pump which reduces volume above a pressure setting. That will slow down your cylinder speed but apply more splitting force. Another approach would be to use a 2-stage pump and a bypass valve on the high volume section. A pressure switch controls the bypass valve and allows the lower volume pump to produce more splitting pressure. This requires electric solenoid valves and can be cost prohibitive. You could use a sequence valve instead of a pressure switch. That involves more piping but does not require electrics.
hi there uncle harry nice to meet you bingo I think we are on the same page a few more ?? I am ordering a pump from surplus center from Lincoln neb. a 16 gpm calls for a 8 hp motor. from the splitters I have built be for that was a gas engine.is a elec. more stable power than gas and is 3 ph more stable than just 220??it is a too stage pump the low stage is 16 gpm and the hi stage is 4 gpm. . do you think that the to stage pump will do what should ? without by pass valve or elec. what ever? if a man was short power switch off the one you would not be using and restart it each time pain in the butt. but mite help if it did not work as one liked. thanks for the top shelf in fo this a super cite lots of help on all most any thing thanks to gentlemen like your self if I was still on the road would stop by and buy you a cup of 100 mile coffee drove 0ne of the big orange semi got out in 1990 40 years on the road have a good one take care of you and yours gotogojo

hi there uncle harry nice to meet you bingo I think we are on the same page a few more ?? I am ordering a pump from surplus center from Lincoln neb. a 16 gpm calls for a 8 hp motor. from the splitters I have built be for that was a gas engine.is a elec. more stable power than gas and is 3 ph more stable than just 220??it is a too stage pump the low stage is 16 gpm and the hi stage is 4 gpm. . do you think that the to stage pump will do what should ? without by pass valve or elec. what ever? if a man was short power switch off the one you would not be using and restart it each time pain in the butt. but mite help if it did not work as one liked. thanks for the top shelf in fo this a super cite lots of help on all most any thing thanks to gentlemen like your self if I was still on the road would stop by and buy you a cup of 100 mile coffee drove 0ne of the big orange semi got out in 1990 40 years on the road have a good one take care of you and yours gotogojo

Yup...that's just what you want. Everything is self-contained in the pump. It's (the pump) designed for your application. I'd be happy with that approach. That's what many commercial (Northern Equipment etc.) log splitters use. Electric motors usually have more useful power per HP than fuel-powered.

Back