Rong Fu mill won't run at high speed

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a Rong Fu mill that is currently wired for 120V. I changed the belts to run it at high speed and it would not move; it just hummed. I lowered the speed one level and it worked. Is this a motor issue or can this be solved by having the machine run on 240V? I thought maybe it was drawing too much current. It's on a 15A circuit and uses 23 A. It did not trip the breaker. Thanks!

Last edited:
Same problem with mine when new. Mine would start but took forever to reach top speed. Change it to 240 volts to solve your problem.

Your house wiring has too much voltage drop- you should configure the machine for 240 volts
If you need help with that post a pic of your motor junction box terminal strip
It's also possible that your start capacitor is weak/low value
Any motor over 1 hp should be run on 240v

Last edited:
Have you tried giving it a spin by hand before flipping the switch?
There is drag on the spindle, and the motor has very low torque on start-up. Even a little spin might get it out of the torque hole to where it has enough to overcome the drag, and then slowly start building up.
When I first had my Wrong-Fu, it would throw a breaker in high gear.

Check the motor capacitors, I would give more specifics as to the motor specifications/mill model. Surprised you would be running it on 120VAC 30A circuit, at 23A running is high, the start-up current would be higher. Switch to 240VAC.

I wired the garage for 240V. I'm about to switch over the machine. I thought it might be a capacitor, based on what I've read elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask here to get a more specific answer.

I did try to give it a spin by hand, but that didn't seem to work, IIRC.

Check the motor capacitors, I would give more specifics as to the motor specifications/mill model. Surprised you would be running it on 120VAC 30A circuit, at 23A running is high, the start-up current would be higher. Switch to 240VAC.
I'm running it on a 15A circuit, so I'm surprised it runs at all!

I'll hook it up to 240 and report back. I posted another thread about that. Go to post #34.

Back