Ron Fu Mill Drill Modification Power Drive For Head

Howardd

Registered
Registered
I have a Rond Fu 20 inch square column mill drill and would like to add a motor to raise and lower the machine.
Can anyone direct to instructions or information for doing this.

Thanks

Howardd

Here's a couple of pictures of my power head conversion. Hope it helps to answer your questions.

Tom S.

I used a surplus RV slideout motor. It's a 12vdc gear head motor with about 90 rpm output. If it can move a slideout it can easily move a mini mill head up and down.

IMG_0300.JPG
The mount is my doing. A couple of plates and a spacer tube welded together then machined to fit. The apparatus on the end of the motor is a brake. I don't think it is necessary but it was easy to wire into the circuit. The motor draws a maximum of 30 amps so rather than buy a power supply I power it up with a battery charger. Wired a ON-OFF-ON switch into the circuit to control up and down feed. IMG_0301.JPG

great workmanship. how does the travel limiter on the end of the motor work?

great workmanship. how does the travel limiter on the end of the motor work?

Thanks. The device on the end of the motor is a brake, not a travel limiter. It really doesn't serve any useful purpose for this application. If you had a square column mill with a ball screw and nut for raising and lowering the head then this brake would keep the head from coasting down under it's own weight. The motor was originally installed on a RV slideout and when powered up the brake kept the slideout from working it's way out when driving down the road.

Tom S

Back