Romex On Block

I have a dislike (unexplainable, except for maybe I favor stranded wire) for NM-B, so I would go the conduit route and pull THHN. It's easy to expand or replace should the need arise. Yes, it's more trouble, and more expense......so my argument may not hold water, especially considering the house near this space is likely wired with Romex. Just make sure wherever you have to drill through wooden members, you protect it from future puncture with protective plates made for that.

Solid wire in conduit is a bear to pull. Typically if the wall cavity is less than 3.5" deep- 1.75 to center where I would staple the wire, I use metal-clad at a minimum. I like conduit for its expandability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nmc must be set back at the front edge by a min of 1 1/4", so the center of a 3 1/2 stud is fine or better yet set it to the back of the furring strip adjacent to the block wall. I never run nmc inside of conduit, as why would you want to, it's far harder than solid wire. Solid wire is not that hard to pull through conduit, much depends on how big the conduit and the umber of wires your pulling and how many bends ( totaling less than 360 degrees ) in the run. Stranded is easier to pull through conduit. Once inside a wall nmc is considered to be protected. If you fear hitting the cable with the pegboard hooks you could always sleeve the cable in conduit to protect it, but generally pegboard hooks do not go in deep enough to hit a cable that is set back by the minimum required amount.

I never run nmc inside of conduit, as why would you want to, it's far harder than solid wire.
In an ag building nmc must be protected below 8' but can be exposed above that so I stub conduit up and run exposed nmc in the rafters. In such buildings most of the wiring is for overhead lighting anyway. The nmc pulls easily in such short straight runs.

The 2x4s are layed sideways. I am just using them as furring strips, not structure. From the advice I have been given on here I think I will conduit along the wall, and bare along the rafter run to the wall. Thank you everyone for the help.

No, it is not legal to run romex in conduit except for very short runs for protection . Technically, you are running one wiring method inside another wiring method, which is frowned upon in most jurisdictions. Anyway, if you were going to run conduit anyway, it would be much cheaper and easier to just install THHN stranded wire in the conduit as long as you use the proper fittings, boxes, grounding means, etc.... to make it a complete system.

It would be legal to run romex behind the pegboard on the wall as long as you have a sufficient fastening and support system. The code says you need at least 1 1/4" of clearance from the face of the stud or support to protect the romex from sheetrock screws and/or nails. You may need to fir the face of the 2x4 out a bit to make sure you have the proper clearance. If you leave the 2x4's flat, it is the perfect depth to use 1 1/2" x 4 x 4 metal boxes and plaster rings to mount your receptacles and switches in. Any decent plastic anchor with tight fitting screws will work fine for required support for the conduit and boxes. Just be sure to ground everything properly, especially the devices.

Bob

Bob, I don't remember it being "illegal" to run romex in conduit, except in wet/damp locations. I am getting old and have not looked at the NEC code book for awhile. Depending on size of conduit, you might have to derate the circuit.

Bottom line, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to run romex (NM) cable in conduit, when THHN is ready available and easy to pull. I would install MC cable before I would consider romex in conduit.

A lot of does and don'ts are controlled by local code (authorities) and one should check with them...assuming you are getting a permit if required.

Craig, can't find the article right at the moment but I can assure I've been corrected on this violation and many electricians I know have also been "redlined" on this violation also, when using it for more than a short piece for protection.
Regardless, I doubt you could ever get enough romex into an EMT (which isn't technically conduit, but actually tubing) to have to consider derating as a factor. I'm with you-only an inexperienced person would consider running romex in conduit when THHN is easily available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc... and is much easier to work with and you can install more circuits in a conduit with THHN in any case.

Bob

Craig, can't find the article right at the moment but I can assure I've been corrected on this violation and many electricians I know have also been "redlined" on this violation also, when using it for more than a short piece for protection.
Regardless, I doubt you could ever get enough romex into an EMT (which isn't technically conduit, but actually tubing) to have to consider derating as a factor. I'm with you-only an inexperienced person would consider running romex in conduit when THHN is easily available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc... and is much easier to work with and you can install more circuits in a conduit with THHN in any case.

Bob

Hi Bob,
I'm a retired EE (PE), but my field of specialty was in Transmission Engineering automation and protection...so code was not much of a consideration. I am no code expert by any stretch of imagination. But with that said, I have heard many times this argument on the code violation. I have never read the the section of code posted..nor I have ever found it in the code book. (My latest book is 2008 IIRC)

We both agree, it is a bad idea and makes it a moot point. But for my interest if you do fine the article, please reference it if it has the NEC code section. That would be something that would go in my notes.

Back