Romex On Block

sk1nner

Active User
Registered
My garage is block construction. I'm in the process of lining the walls with pegboard. As furring strips I'm using 2x4's laid down on the wall (the "4 inch" side is against the block). My question is can I run romex along the 2x4s without conduit, or is conduit still required? I have no problem running conduit if needed, but bif I can get away (legally) without it would be nice. The pegboard will covery everything up so either way it will look nice, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. As always thank you for any and all help.

I'm not a licensed electrician so consider the source but in Wisconsin, Romex is not normally run through conduit. I don't believe that it can't be run through conduit. I did so on a basement to attic run because I wanted the flexibility to change the wiring at some future point.

One reason for doing so if you are putting pegboard up would be to preclude the possibility of damaging the wire when using the pegboard.

NEC doesn't really say what method is proper other than saying the wiring must be protected from damage. You can run romex in conduit. I have done it in my garage without issues. I don't run any other wires in the same conduit with the romex. I would suggest contacting your local building codes enforcement office and get a ruling on what they allow and what is not allowed. They don't mind helping out homeowners for minor wiring jobs like you are doing. Don't tell them you're finishing out your basement! That might cost you a building permit and them coming out and inspecting what you are doing. Don't worry, they won't come back and hunt you unless you've done something wrong.

My garage is block construction. I'm in the process of lining the walls with pegboard. As furring strips I'm using 2x4's laid down on the wall (the "4 inch" side is against the block). My question is can I run romex along the 2x4s without conduit, or is conduit still required? I have no problem running conduit if needed, but bif I can get away (legally) without it would be nice. The pegboard will covery everything up so either way it will look nice, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. As always thank you for any and all help.
I think that the pegboard would count as interior finishing for this purpose as long as the walls are fully covered by it.

However, the pegboard may not be legal as an interior finish due to fire safety rules. Is this an attached garage?

I think that the pegboard would count as interior finishing for this purpose as long as the walls are fully covered by it.

However, the pegboard may not be legal as an interior finish due to fire safety rules. Is this an attached garage?

Sk, A couple of things came my fuzzy brain. Block unless sealed properly will absorb moisture. That said, how are your 2x4's going to hold up being directly connect and against the block? The other question I have is are you going to be inserting metal pegs into the pegboard? If so, what are the chances of contacting your romex? Just some thoughts. Al.

This is a detached uninsulated garage. I may use metal pegs on the board in the future, not sure. The 2x4s are being held to the block with hammershot nails.

Back