Roll-your-own X Axis Drive, Electric Component

OK, there are 4 wires going to the motor. Two are connected to the brushes, and two are connected to the stator (outer windings). To reverse a motor like that you have to switch one or the other. We are doing to switch the brushes for simplicity. We are not talking about the variable yet, just the forward and reverse. We will get to the variable in a minute..

Keith, I think you've covered it. I'll have to study your details, but I think it will work out. Life has intervened, I've got a couple of short run productions to do, and wait for some parts to be delivered. I'm still designing the connection between the drill motor and the feed screw, too.

Before I hook everything up permanent wise, I'll patch it all together and see what happens.
Just a note of caution
John.

Yeah, John, that's the plan, wait for shrapnel. First time through, the pot I had self destroyed. Since then I've included an on-off switch.

I can't believe almost two years have passed. The 3/8 drill somehow let the magic smoke out, it was replaced with a 12 volt automotive window motor, the belt drive was replaced with a direct drive with a dog clutch, it feeds from not moving up to 10 inches a minute, reliably.

Back