Rockwell Mill Lube Question

B

Buffalo20

Forum Guest
Register Today
Can someone who has a Rockwell mill, mine is a 21-100 vertical mill, I was looking at the knee and table today, what exactly does the oil hole on the table apron assembly do?? According to the manual, I have to lube the ways directly, as there is no oil ports for the table or the knee. Dab smack in the middle of the table apron, is a ball-check lube point, but with no idea to what I'm lubing. To the X lead screw nut??

Anybody know of a source to buy a different vise handle, the Shars vise is excellent (so far), but has a 12 MM hex, the flex-handle is marginal, right now I'm using a 12 mm, 6 point wrench, it works, but hardly handy. I thought about modifying a different handle, adapting a 12 mm impact socket, but a steel socket and an aluminum handle, means either set screws or roll pins to lock them together.I'd prefer a different way.

How about a socket and sliding tee handle for the vise. You could use loctite to keep the socket attached.

The ball-check on the front oils the X-lead screw. I don't recall from when I had mine torn down if it drips oil onto the leadscrew bushings or just the leadscrew itself.

Thank you, for the replies. Oiling the underside of the table is a PITA. Oiling the knee (Z) and the table (Y) are relatively easy (little messy), but ensuring the underside of the table (X), is a challenge. So far, the only minor negative feature of the mill, I'm disappointed in.

Thank you, for the replies. Oiling the underside of the table is a PITA. Oiling the knee (Z) and the table (Y) are relatively easy (little messy), but ensuring the underside of the table (X), is a challenge. So far, the only minor negative feature of the mill, I'm disappointed in.

I know this is an old post but I read this and hoped someone may find this helpful. To oil the the ways of the table - as well as the feed screw (and other ways), I have changed to using a 1" foam brush. I put some oil on the foam brush and can easily reach underneath the table and brush on a good film - on the X table ways and feed screw, without dripping. When finished-I put in a small sealable sandwich bag that also contains a small magnet. I then slap it against the side of the mill and it is there for the next day..

I know this is an old post but I read this and hoped someone may find this helpful. To oil the the ways of the table - as well as the feed screw (and other ways), I have changed to using a 1" foam brush. I put some oil on the foam brush and can easily reach underneath the table and brush on a good film - on the X table ways and feed screw, without dripping. When finished-I put in a small sealable sandwich bag that also contains a small magnet. I then slap it against the side of the mill and it is there for the next day..

I like that, will probably steal it. Thanks! :)

So far I've been using a can of spray bar & chain oil to lube the ways. Makes it fairly easy to spray into the corners of each way, then crank the table in each direction a few times to spread the oil. Seems to be doing the trick, but I'd prefer to not keep buying spray cans. Will setup a brush/magnet bag when I run out.

What about lubing the vertical shaft? I don't really see any ports for this.

Back