[Newbie] Rockwell Horz./vert. Combo Mill - Wiring W/vfd

My answers are interleaved between questions in below quote:

So here are my questions:
1. Can I (or SHOULD I) shut down the power to the VFD I'm NOT using. In fact, I can see where there will be times I'm not using the mill for months on end. I talked to the "Tech Support" at FactoryMation where I purchased the Teco FM50's. It was SUGGESTED that I could just do a simple switch shutting down the 230v single phase power going to the VFD. Does this sound right???
1a. Does ANYONE think that by shutting down the power, I'm going to lose my settings? I know when it's not running (converting) it won't be using much power. Also, if this is best, I can see wiring up individual

I have switches on mine (separate machines) and shut them down with no ill effects.

You will not lose any settings.

2. I've read where some have wired in a EStop or emergency stop. Is this something I could utilize? Does this shut down the power? Just thinking that I could wire one on the Junction box where both VFD's are housed.

The FM50 has one input that can be used for E-stop (SP1). As in question 4 below my gut feeling is that you do not want to connect the same switch to both VFD's. You may be able to find a double pole button that electrically isolates the two VFD's but mechanically looks like one button.

3. My first though was to wire s single twist lock plug coming from the safety switch. From there, I would have two socket/outlets wired in the junction box - one for each VFD. I then would plug into which ever one I need to run. Two things I'm unsure of. Are these able to be "hot-plugged". and also, like 1a above, will the VFD retain their settings when unplugged.

Why not just two switches? The cost for the outlets and plugs would probably be more than a second switch.

4. I have also thought in not having two connectors - one for each VFD external controls. If I were able to "turn off" the unused VFD, is there a problem if BOTH VFD's were wired in a series? (One wire going from external control to VFD and from there to the same position on the other VFD which is not powered).

I'm not 100% sure but my gut feeling is that it would be a problem. IIRC the FM50 will require maintained switches rather than momentary switches.

Any help/suggestions or diagrams would be GREATLY appreciated....

Rich,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I think you have confirmed what is turning out to be a basic setup. I have "acquired" two 3 Pole - Flush Mount - Non-Fused Switch Disconnect's made by Eaton. Much bigger than needed but it was a price I couldn't turn down. They're used, but should work perfectly. I'll be shutting down one or BOTH VFD's when not in use. I plan on running a connector from each VFD and installing into the side of the J-Box. When the time comes, I can just plug in my connector that is hardwired to the external control box. Should not be an issue. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I just need a little re-assurance...

O.K., a little more help, PLEASE. Is there way to power an external fan with the VFD??? I have a few enclosure fans.
If so, what would be the ticket - 24v? 12v? I think most all of them draw less than a 1/2 amp?

Thanks again!

The FM50 +10 and +12 outputs are very low current and are only designed for use with the analog and digital inputs of the VFD itself. There is one set of contacts "Multi-Function Output" pins 1 & 2 that appear to be rated at 1 amp that could be used to control an external fan so it comes on when the VFD is running but you would still need to supply power for the fan itself.

Back