Rockwell 21-100 rebuild

Minor update...

Well apparently when the sales guy at sherwin-williams agreed with me that buying a paint with a lighter tone was a safe course of action because I could always tint it darker, he actually meant "yes buy that, so I can ding you for another $50 when you come back unhappy". All of that to say that they "can't even get remotely close" to a tone similar to my colour sample. :grrr:

Even when I told them I wasn't concerned about a direct match, but would just like something close to vaguely similar, they still gave me the "impossible" reply. Unless of course I would like to wait for their manager to come in this Monday. Not sure how that changes the chemical properties of paint toner, but that's what I was told.

In the end, I just got them to alter it to the darkest shade they agreed they could and will live with it until I end up needing to move the machine again.

On the upside I can reassemble the machine now...lol.

Here's a pic of a side by side of the original colour I tried, and the "darkened" version.
IMG_20141018_154850_zpsaidsmm2e.jpg
The lighting is horrific in my shop space. Definitely going to have to do something about that. I prefer the ver2.0 but still not what I hoped it would be.

Here's a pic comparing the mill and a drill press belt cover I sprayed in early summer.
IMG_20141018_145857_zpsjspila5p.jpg
I walked into the paint store planning on matching that colour. Then got excited by the multitude of choices. Should have stuck with my original plan... oh well. Just so there isn't any confusion. That second pic shows the mill with the paint before the alteration.

IMG_20141018_154850_zpsaidsmm2e.jpg IMG_20141018_145857_zpsjspila5p.jpg

I had a machine very much like yours as my first mill. It was a great machine and had I not found a Deckel FP1 to replace it, I would still have it.

Paul.

It's now Jan. 2016, nice chronicling of your 21-100 there (YouTube/photos) J. Vibert, I've just joined H-M.
I am an owner of a near pristine 1968 or '69 21-100 mill I recently purchased from a small machine tool reseller near me.
I've been looking for one of these Rockwell mills for some time... Finally got it! I dissassembled the machine at the point of purchase and packed it all into my 2008 Infinity G35x sedan. G35x, mill, n me survived the 50 mile trip home unscathed. At home with an appliance hand truck me, myself, and I moved every last bit of this 780 lb machine to the base ment shop, it now awaits reassembly.
J. Vibert did you video or photo document the dissassembly of the mill head components during spindle rebuild?

Back