Rockwell 10" Lathe Accessories Question

100LL

Registered
Registered
I'm getting a home shop set up and am probably getting a nice Rockwell 10 x 24. I was curious about a few things and will no doubt pester you all for a while :)

First off; I know the milling attachments for lathes are of limited usefulness. However I would like light milling capability until I can find the right mill (like the smaller Rockwell or Clausing). There's a Rockwell milling attachment (25-651) that is both ridiculously expensive and advertised to work with an 11".

Would it work on the 10?

Thanks, and looking forward to participating here on H-M

100LL (please sign your posts or set up your Signature to do so for you),

First, it isn't unusual, at least with Atlas, Clausing, Logan, Rockwell and South Bend, for two or three significant accessories (milling attachment, steady rest, etc.) to cost as much as the lathes. Second, if Rockwell made a milling attachment for their 11", they most likely also made one for the 10". If the carriages, or at least the part on the carriage that the milling attachment attaches to, are the same, the two could have been the same. Atlas for example sold the same milling attachment for their 10" and 12". Unlike the steady rest, the center of which has to be on the lathe center-line, the milling attachment merely has to be tall enough to work conveniently with the larger machine. So if the 25-651 will physically fit your cross slide, it should work fine.

If you find a 25-651 for sale, get a photo of the thing from above so that you can see whether or not it has the center pivot pin and the two holes to mate with the two studs that attach your compound. If it does, ask the seller what the center to center dimension for the holes is. The only photo I've come across of the 11" carriage assembly is too small and too poor resolution to tell how the compound attaches.

Last edited:
Back