riser block for a grizzly g0796

skrewd

Registered
Registered
Does any know of a production 4 or 6 inch riser to fit a g0796. It best clones the South Bend mill but still don't find risers for them either. Grizzly's tech support offered no options and said they had no examples in which to give me numbers, zero help. How much of a clone is this clone? Will the j head riser fit? One ebay buyer said his BP riser on a true BP still had to be fitted to even be set down. I don't think going by the outside circumference will be enough not knowing the interior casting. I really don't want to open her up just yet but I may have to.

A riser block can be made, mostly on the lathe. The mill will need to come apart anyway to install the riser, determining the dimensions will make you do so earlier. It is pretty easy to figure out the size stock you need to get going with it.

I realize I would be machining the riser to fit. Descriptions like" fits Bridgeport clone" on ebay and the like are too vague. When shopping for used mills, I spend a year looking at several variants. Three quarter size to beautiful 6000 lbs monsters. I'm asking is there anyone out there who may have already done this to a g0796. That person could provide me with a compatible size ring from what ever company they made work. It is my belief that several companys sell that same mill with a different paint job, alas a SouthBend I saw was a definite sibling. A start from a South Bend riser, if I could find one or get its specs, would be a project I could tackle. Like most things in life it is a matter of time and money, you only have so much.

Found what I hope will fit. Same bolt pattern and column diameter as a stock Bridgeport. I may take photos of the disassembly, fitment and reassembly.

Grizzly g0796 riser block install, as best guess as everything else was a perfect match with a Bridgeport including my Model E Shaper, I purchased a 6 inch Bridgeport riser, with the exception of needing 4 shorter 1/2 inch bolts at the riser base, it is a slip fit no machining required. My first post with several images so please excuse my errors. Will finish Monday as I need to go to work.IMG_0088[1].JPG IMG_0089[1].JPG IMG_0090[1].JPG IMG_0091[1].JPG IMG_0092[1].JPG IMG_0093[1].JPG IMG_0094[1].JPG IMG_0095[1].JPG IMG_0096[1].JPG

Looks good! nice increase in headroom. It did seem funny to me that no one knew an answer to your original question, I had no idea on how to get an answer especialy when I only have a bench mill.

I have ordered a G0796 (backordered) Can you explain what the benefit is for the Riser block? I would love to do any mods that make it more useful, Hope to find lots of people with this mill as I'm a new hobbyist machinist. Thanks.

Back