"right" way to repair mill ways?

palada

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a Clausing 8520 some months ago and it has a lot of wear on the Y ways and it's annoying to compensate for it. I plan to keep this mill a long time, add DRO, etc., so I'd like to have the ways repaired. (Long time could be 25+ years - I'm pretty young :) )

What is the recommended method to do this? Should they be ground? Scraped? Ground then scraped? Something else?

I assume that this will not be cheap but I got a good price on the mill and even with the repair it will be less expensive than an equivalent new Taiwanese machine.

I'd also like recommendations for who should do the work for anyone who knows the options around Los Angeles. Thanks

Likely grind the table and scrape the saddle to fit, possibly using Rulon to make up for clearances lost to grinding and scraping if necessary, You should be able to find a rebuilder in your area.

Keep in mind that scraping and flaking create crevices to hold oil. I would say it would be ground and then need to be flaked. Or just live with it. It’s worn where it’s used the most. How often are you going to mill something large enough to mill through the worn spot to the right spot?

If the table were ground, it should not be flaked, as the crevices that are created tend to catch dirt and swarf and drag it into the saddle causing wear, the flaking should be done on the non exposed sliding surface, IE, the saddle. My reference would be Richard King, scraper/rebuilder, a authority on the subject.

There are a few places mentioned in the LA area that do machine repair, regrinding of the ways, etc. I have seen the one below mentioned although it was expensive.

Back