RF30 or RF31

Yup, looks identical to an RF-31. I'm thinking that the RF-30 was an earlier model designation for the same mill. We at least know that the spindle and drive sleeve bearings are the same. It follows that the spindle and quill are also the same. Enco/MSC has or used to have parts in stock. You need the parts manual for your mill in order to give them the correct part number. For what its worth, the spindle itself is not hardened (much) so it may be a good idea to order a spare spindle if you plan to keep your mill.

I agree Mike. For all its supposed shortcomings the G0760/RF31/30 continues to be sold to people just like me. Who don't have the room or floor or $$$ for a knee mill. And don't want a mini mill. Knowing its shortcomings but knowing there are a ton of them still working and there are folks doing good work on them made me jump on mine for $400. Yeah, it was rode hard and put up wet, but you can still get parts and there is a huge fan base out there with some cool mod's. It is elusive on the particulars but I'll be willing to bet the change from 30 to 31 was your typical "new and improved" and could have been as simple as them going to all metric hardware or something like that. Mine is also an Enco and very similar to ND's.

One thing I noticed is the RF-30 has lower speeds listed than theRF-31;

IE slowest speed for RF-30 is 120 rpm, where the RF-30 is 150 rpm, upper limit is 2500 for RF-30, 3000 for RF-31

Btw i thought about all metric hardware, but reading the RF-31 list of parts, it is a mix of metric and inch bolts listed.

mine is older Enco RF-30, looks very similar to this one;

but has the Enco tag

Not trying to be a jerk here. By the look of the column it's not a RF30. Looks more like 20 or 25.

The pic is RF-15 actually, but mine is a RF-30. I just posted the pic because the look and some details of the early to mid 80's RF-30 are different then the later RF-30's

The manual that came with my machine covers the RF-30, 20 and 15

My RF30 was made in '88 and looks almost exactly like ND's except for the switch. I am in no way an expert on the RF line but have seen a ton of the different models on CL (vast majority the RF30) and this is the first time I've ever seen the N2F power down feed or noticed it in the manual. Learn something new everyday.

I know this is an old post but I have learned some things that might help people with this question;

So, Clif, what is the difference between the two models?

One thing I see as possibly a difference, is the number of pulley spindles in the headstock. My RF-30 from 1983 has four, while many newer models only have three. This affects how many different speeds are possible.

Back