[Newbie] Reviewing The Grizzly G0758 Milling Machine

Stephen krupa

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

Can someone who owns one of these Grizzly G0758 milling machines please provide a review of it. I'm considering purchasing one of them and wanted to hear firsthand from someone who actually owns and operates it. The biggest question I have on it is the following:

The z dimension. The specs say it 9". There is a video on YouTube featuring a review on this mill who author says it's actually 8 5/8". That appears to be very tight. Mount vise and/or a rotary table with a drill chuck and it appears to be unusable. So I wanted to hear from owners of this machine how they manage with this restricted dimension. Please refer to the 2 YouTube videos below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M52hkaJe1Yc

This is a nice intro to this mill. The comments listed below the video add more information and questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_1iOzOTtn0

This video shows the hold down kit and the vise. The vise shown with the swivel base is much too large for this mill in my opinion.

Everything else on the machine appears to be what I am looking for. I just hope that this z dimension thing doesn't preclude me from getting one.

Thanks in advance,
Steve K

I do not own a 0758 but do own an 0704. It has 11" head travel and I use a 4" vice and also a 6" rotary table on that machine. When I retired I downsized from a Bridgeport to the 0704 and find it to be a decent machine.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your feedback. As for adding riser blocks; this mill's column is fastened to the base from the rear side. It does not sit down vertically on the base. Hence, I do not believe that a riser block will work in increasing the Z dimension. If anyone has another way of increasing the Z dimension please let me know.

Steve K

I notice that on the Grizzly site, the 0704 is listed with 11" spindle to table distance, but the 0758 indicates 9". I wonder why Grizzly would reduce this dimension? It would certainly limit the utility of the mill when using a vise and drilling. (The Grizzly vise without the base looks about the size of most milling vises of the 3-4 inch class, so I would think it's a typical height.) It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually has an 0758 as to whether they find it a limitation.

I have a different manufacturer's mini-mill with 11 3/4" spindle to table distance and it has proven fine for me for the vast majority of applications. The only issue came when I had a 4" rotary table mounted with a chuck and soft jaws, and needed to drill several holes. I had to use a smaller drill chuck, and my standard length drill bit cleared the work by about 1/8 inch. (Which is an argument for buying a set of short drill bits!) So I would be hesitant to buy a mill with only 9 inches spindle to table.

I investigated the G0758 when looking to buy a milling machine. I was pretty sure I was going to get it, but then a little extra money came my way and I got the G0704. I am so glad I did, and here is why. I am currently working on a piece that starts life as a 3x6" rectangle of 1/2" 6061. I drill some holes on the end of it. Well, with a vise and drill chuck and bit, I am already close to maxing out the travel on a 704. With a 758, there would be no chance of it. There is also the additional travel in X, particularly, that is very helpful.

Another reason I went with the 0704 is that, despite the $300 price difference, the 704 comes with a stand and you have to pay an extra $150 + shipping for the 758 stand. That puts the actual cost difference for comparables at about $100, which in my mind is little enough that getting the 704 was really the smarter decision. I'm so glad I went with. If you have different contributing factors, however, that is completely understandable.

Hi Guys,

I would like to thank all who have contributed to my inquires regarding the Grizzly G0758. I was hoping that someone who actually owned one of these machines would respond with their feedback but such was not the case. I do agree that I should be looking at machines with additional Z direction travel. Several have responded that the Grizzly G0704 is a much better option for me. I will be looking carefully at that machine.

In the meantime, if anyone has a Grizzly G0758 and would like to contact me directly, my contact email is listed below:

yuytt36(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm located in central New Jersey. Would love to see a G0758 in person if at all possible. And that also goes for those who have a Grizzly G0704.

Regards,
Steve K

Hi Guys,

The z dimension. The specs say it 9". There is a video on YouTube featuring a review on this mill who author says it's actually 8 5/8

Steve K
You have answered your own question, if you require more Z travel buy a different machine, Z axis clearance is entirely dependent on tool holding methods and the tools used.

I do not own a 0758 but do own an 0704. It has 11" head travel and I use a 4" vice and also a 6" rotary table on that machine. When I retired I downsized from a Bridgeport to the 0704 and find it to be a decent machine.

I THOUGHT I heard a bunch of thumps yesterday: It was all the BP faithful fainting after reading your comment about downsizing... ;) :D

Back