Reversing the VFD

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I hooked up the Hitachi VFD. I took the drum switch off, and connected from the VFD directly to the mill motor. It works fine.

But, I can't figure out how to reverse it, nor do I get that instant braking that I've heard talked about. I thought there would be an easy way to do that. Should I have left the drum switch in place to reverse, or am I missing something?

I'm still working my way through the manual...

Mike
I installed a Teco/Westinghouse several months ago on my Burke# 4. Had the same problem. I read the manual a number of times. I thought my reading comprehension was sliping along with other body parts. I finally called customer service at Teco. I spoke to a tech who explained, "The people who write the manuals are not proficient with the English language". He then explained the procedue and directed me to other web site written in,"Our" english. Call customer service if you can't figure the sequence out. I know the frustration well.

Steve Jam..

mnmh,
There is nothing between the VFD and the motor. So I did that right! I got the Hitachi X200-004NFU1http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drives/AC+Drives/Phase+Converter+VFD/X200-004NFU1.html I have the VFD plugged into a 220V receptacle, and wiring from the VFD goes direct to the motor. I know that the motor reverses, because on my initial connection, it ran backwards. Swapping two of the wires on the 3-phase side corrected that.

steve,
I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

You have to use the drum switch on the control logic inputs and it can control forward, stop, reverse. Look for a parameter to enable braking and another couple for decelleration/accelleration times.

[quote author=mitsue2366 link=topic=1849.msg11809#msg11809 date=1303665701]
You have to use the drum switch on the control logic inputs and it can control forward, stop, reverse. Look for a parameter to enable braking and another couple for decelleration/accelleration times.
[/quote]

Absolutely no clue how to do that. Back to the manuals, I guess.

[quote author=wawoodman link=topic=1849.msg11813#msg11813 date=1303668514]
[quote author=mitsue2366 link=topic=1849.msg11809#msg11809 date=1303665701]
[/quote]

Absolutely no clue how to do that. Back to the manuals, I guess.
[/quote]

You will have to wire the "STF" (start forward rotation),"STR" (start reverse rotation), and "SD (contact input common (sink)) into the drum switch. Then you change a parameter to use external frequency control (motor speed, hertz) and wire a potentiometer (10Kohm??, check your manual) into I beleive the frequency setting power supply terminal, the voltage signal line, (center wiper on the poteniometer), and frequency setting input common. The drive supplys the low voltage required on those lines so end you end up with low voltage in the run, stop, jog, brake and emergency stop switches and speed pot.

mitsue and Ed,
Thanks for the extra info. Ed, I'm guessing you made a little 3-switch panel to hold the switches? How would you wire in a pot, and what specs would you need on it? (Is that the section at the bottom of the drawing? Sorry, my circuit reading skills are really rudimentary.)

It seems a shame to have to do that, since the VFD control panel can be moved to another location with an R-45 (I think) cable.

And one more stupid question: Do I really need reverse on a mill, anyway?

Hopefully a little more clarification on your reversing and switching problem -- the first pic is my switching set up on my mill with the Hitachi L200, those are common toggle switches mounted in a Radio Shack box. The left sw controls power to the VFD unit, and the right sw controls fwd/rev/off in center. The original rotary switch is still hooked up, but I just dont use it, using the toggles to control everything.

The second pic is the wiring - along the bottom on the left is the 220v input wires, and to the right is the three 3ph wires going to the motor. At the top in the green terminal on the right at positions 1 & 2 are the reversing terms, these go to the the 3 position toggle with center being off.

IMG_0619.jpg
misc006.jpg

Pacer,
Thanks for that close up. Very helpful! Are you running the line voltage through the on/off switch?

As I recall, at the time (some 3 yrs ago!) it seemed that leaving the rotary switch connected and in the on position and using the toggle to control power to the VFD was easier than removal of the rotary - I dont recall exactly why, obviously it isnt an absolute...

I forgot to mention that I use the potentiometer control on the VFD itself as my speed control, as it was conveniently located and I saw no need to remote a separate pot.

Oh, and by the way, I think youll find that reversing capability is VERY handy!

Back