Reversing lead screw on HF 8x12

jimisbell

Active User
Registered
I have read the manual line by line twice and see only that,

"The fixed shaft bolt (825) [& gear 822 called the intermediate gear] under the spindle is used for right hand cutting and threading. The set of fixed Shaft Bolts in the accessory kit is used in combination with the original set of shaft bolts to reverse the rotation of the long lead screw for left handed cutting and threading."

I see nowhere that the method is described. The charts only tell which gears to use to set the number of threads, not the direction. Nor is the procedure for removing (if that is necessary as I believe) gear (822).

It looks like, to me, that the designed method of reversal is to REMOVE the intermediate gear, on the bolt 825, and then loosen the screw 835 and tilt the "change gear box" (833) toward the back till it hits the spindle gear directly.

If this is the method, then why not move 825 & 822 to the "top" side and attach a "handle" to the "change gear box" (833) so that it can be tilted toward the back for Lefthand thread and tilt it toward the front till it engages the intermittent gear in its new position for righthand threads??

The "handle" could be set in a double indent so that either position is stable or stabilized with a set clamp. The screw (835) could be left just loose enough that the "gear change box" (833) could be moved whenever needed, set it permanently "loose" with thread lock.

No, that wont work. Apparently the designed method to reverse is not as I deduced. I tried it and swinging the gear box to the rear does not contact the spindle gear as I first thought it might. So now I havent a clue as to how they designed it to work.

So now its "Plan B". I will make another gear to insert between the 822 gear and the gear box to reverse the turn again. This will be a very small gear that will slide into position as the gear box is pulled back.

I am just talking to myself...."Dont pay any attention the the little man behind the curtain...."...LOL

Last edited:
Hi, I'm sue that you have figured it out by now, but as I am new to this and appreciate the frustration of "talking to myself" I thougt I would offer the following. It is my understanding that by adding (or subtracting) a gear in a gear train the output shaft reverses direction. I think you need to disengage the existing gear train and add the supplied gear to the train - thus adding a gear and reversing the lead screw direction. Please let me know if this works. Bob

Back