Reverse Switch

stroupe63

Registered
Registered
I assume CCW is the normal rotation for a Craftsman lathe...is this correct?. I was just wondering what the benefits of adding a reverse switch to the motor would be? Thanks Steve,

I cannot answer on the rotation direction. I use reverse when threading to return the carriage to the starting point, so not cutting.

If you do have a tool which is cutting when in reverse, just be careful if the chuck is threaded, it can come loose.

Two things come immediately to mind: cutting left-hand threads and cutting metric threads with an English leadscrew using the transposition gears. As Dave said, be careful you don't unscrew the chuck!

I cut ID threads in reverse.

Start at the bottom of the bore and work out while cutting on the back side of the ID.

Easier for me as i can't see where to stop on an ID. This way find the start point with the lathe off

Tapping, tap in then tap out. Turning a taper from the compound with the spindle in reverse and the tool on the back is a much more pleasant experience then doing so with the compound handle on the far side of the machine.

Back