Retractable wheels for Welding Bench?

This may not be practical for a 1,000lb bench but I did a hybrid caster/leveling foot arrangement on my smallish welding setup. Basically HD cast iron w urethane casters on one side, leveling feet on the other. You just lift and roll kinda like a wheelbarrow. So It’s mobile to an extent but I wouldn’t want to go long distances or frequently. Saves buying 2 expensive casters. Just another idea YMMV

2c7f47408c10a7bcd1feee6f83237607.jpg

2339e857b2295024a0c121332411163a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 36" x 60" cast-iron surface plate bench with 2 straight steels casters with 6" steel wheels in the center and one 360 degree steel caster in the end center that is 5" diameter with 4 leveling screws on the 4 corners legs (tapped hole in center of the steel shafts) that you lower onto 1/2 x 4 x 4 inch steel plates with a counterbored hole in the center about 1/8" deep that the 4 hex head levelers fit in, the hex screws have jam nuts to lock them too. Then bench is reinforced cross sections. When you want to move the plate you raise the 4 hex bolts with jam nuts so it touches the steel casters. Next time I'm out in the shop, I'll take a few pictures.

This may not be practical for a 1,000lb bench but I did a hybrid caster/leveling foot arrangement on my smallish welding setup. Basically HD cast iron w urethane casters on one side, leveling feet on the other. You just lift and roll kinda like a wheelbarrow. So It’s mobile to an extent but I wouldn’t want to go long distances or frequently. Saves buying 2 expensive casters. Just another idea YMMV

2c7f47408c10a7bcd1feee6f83237607.jpg

2339e857b2295024a0c121332411163a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice stand. That came out nice.

One of these days I will redo my welding table. I built it when I had just learned to weld. Have to say it is sturdy, but I'd do things differently these days. I have steel wheels on the bottom. All the urethane wheels I have used end up falling apart. But I still need a way to jack up the stand. Guess I can weld on some outriggers and nuts to get it flat and immovable.

Back