Restoring A Burke #1 Horizontal

Thanks Silverbullet! The pictures make it look better...I could have done the strip, bondo, sand, paint routine, but I'm usually not that patient.

Here is some update pics. Got the drive setup. Went with the 1hp DC motor (cause I have it, so why not).20150818_205140.jpg

Also, pay no attention to my mess in the background!

Here's with the covers on. I still have to do another coat of black, but I wanted to see what it looked like.
20150818_213031.jpg 20150818_211407.jpg 20150818_211427.jpg 20150818_211438.jpg

All that's left is mounting the motor control and another coat of black on the covers. Then I should be cutting metal!

That is freakin' beautiful! :encourage:

I will be referencing your pictures for inspiration when I finally get to my old mill.

Very well done sir!

-brino

Thanks Brino! I can't wait to make some chips with this baby!

There's another thread here about stripping old paint and gunk, and I myself am getting ready for a filthy lathe rebuild/restoration. Just wondering how you cleaned up the castings and prepped for paint?

Again, nice job.

I actually used a small needler from harbor freight for the rust, and second and third layer of paint. Once I got down to the original paint and filler, it wasn't that bad, so I didn't bother removing it. I was hesitant to even call this a restoration, more of a clean up and paint. My focus was primarily on the machining surfaces.
An excellent read for a real restoration can be found here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/burke-4-restoration-by-rmack898.21127/

rmack898 did this restoration, and Mac, if you read this, My hats off to you sir! Top notch job.

There is also a restoration here of a very similar USMT horizontal(a little earlier model of mine):
http://bluechipmachineshop.com/bc_blog/rebuilding-a-burke-1-horizontal-milling-machine/

Again, top notch work! Mr. Finch utilized Easy Off oven cleaner, which worked exceptionally.

Also, I have a couple more machines coming in for a real restoration that I plan to post up here in the next couple of weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for a restoration of a Hardinge BB4 horizontal(cute little bugger), and a Standard Modern 1340 lathe. I have far more projects than time, so it may be a little slower moving! It's a greasy messy tedious job, but I love it. I think for me it's almost more fun working on machines than using them(I enjoy that too though) haha.

-Steve

Back