Restoring A Burke #1 Horizontal

the half moon looking scrape marks is what's called Oil Flaking.
the scrape marks are far below the machined surface to act as a reservoir for oil to collect and act as a bearing surface to reduce wear.
before reassembly it might be in your best interest to lightly stone the ways to remove any ridges where a tool or work may have dinged the ways.
the crater created by an impact of tool or work will slightly raise the metal from the newly formed crater that will interfere with a member sliding across the surface.
a fine oilstone ,fine diamond , fine ceramic stone with a little windex or mineral spirits will do a nice job.
personally i like the windex because it's effective and cheap- plus it smells a lot better too.
just be sure to wipe off any excess windex and lightly oil the surface as there is water present in windex and rust can occur easily

Ok, got the table finished and installed today. Also disassembled, cleaned, repacked bearings, and reassembled spindle....and installed it. Here is how she sits now.20150815_202411.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Ulma Doctor. I'll hunt down a stone and touch up everything before I put her into service.

That's looking really good. You might try soaking the table in Evaporust to get the t-slots looking as good as the top surface. hard to say when to stop on these things and say good enough. Mike

Yeah, I need to pick up some Evaporust...I actually intended to do it today, but got busy in the shop. That stuff works miracles. The best stuff for aluminum that I have found is Chem-dip.

I got the arbor support all done...also cleaned, painted, and hung the counterweight(inside main body). I've also began cleaning up the pulleys, shafts, bearings, and things for the drive side.
20150816_200928.jpg
20150816_200741.jpg

You should be very proud of this it's turning out to be a real gem. One of these days I'll find one too but don't think I'll go as far as you did . I'm a fixer up and user still never know I may follow your lead . Be nice to own a new looking piece of iron. Good luck with her.

Back