Restoring A Burke #1 Horizontal

It came with an old 3 phase 1hp 1200rpm motor. I was going to swap over to a 1hp single phase 1725rpm motor because I have a few in the shop, but I like the idea of having the slower speeds, so I'll probably just pickup a Teco 1hp VFD and put it in a filtered enclosure with a fan. I work as a controls engineer, so I can get some decent pricing on stuff with the company discount(company I work for, not my own). It also came with a disconnect(square D, if I remember right), an Allen Bradley ON/Off switch, and a Furnace switch that I will reuse. All new wire in seal tight, and SO cord for the VFD power. I also have a 1hp DC motor setup(Leeson) that I might go with, but my preference is the VFD setup. We'll see how much the wife lets me spend!

Here is the motor plate for the motor that came with it... I have searched online just to see if there was any info on it, but found nothing on this model...the company is still in business though.

40e3dab1-c4d0-4274-a518-ed324a87c709.jpg

USNFC,

Thanks again.
I have never heard of that motor manufacturer or the "fluid shaft motor"; it's like having a torque converter built in. Too bad it doesn't have a full automatic transmission too! ;)

I was considering a DC motor for my (eventual) rebuild. Maybe one from a treadmill.

-brino

Thanks, yeah at first I was just going to clean up the ways, lube, and then use it...but I figured I may as well go all out while I have it disassembled. There aren't any machines in my shop that can walk the runway, but this one should look pretty good when I'm done. I'm more concerned with function over beauty, but maybe I can get both!

I like the scrape markings after all these years are still there.

A little more progress yesterday. I got the saddle all cleaned up and installed. It was a slow progress day....too stinking hot! Hopefully I will get more done today. I should have the table cleaned and mounted today...the top is already clean, just gotta clean/paint the bottom. I will get some more pic's up this evening. Thanks again for the comments!

wow, that looks beautiful! seems like you got one of those diamonds in the rough :) there's nothing like using a tool that you've personally torn down and rebuilt yourself.

No, I don't plan to do any scraping...to be honest that's a skill that I do not possess. The scraping on this machine looks to be good though.

A correction to my previous post: I said the paint was rust-x, however it is actually X-o Rust...sold at true value hardware.

Back